Advice For 1St Timer - Bc Or Fondant?

Decorating By hula1974 Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 12:50am by smbegg

hula1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hula1974 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 8

I have 2 cakes to cover, one round and one square.

Taste aside, would you recommend a crusting BC with the Viva/Melvira method or Fondant?

I have tried Michelle's fondant recipe once and had no luck. I'm willing to try it again but since my cake has a large surface area I'm wondering if I should just do BC instead.

What would you say is easiest (and what is your favorite icing recipe)?

TIA.
---Girl.Who.Bit.Off.More.Than.She.Can.Chew.[/b]

7 replies
mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 8

Personally I think it's easier, faster to cover a cake with MMF than then it is to get it smooth. Super easy. But I Love Sugarshacks buttercream and I Love the Viva and printer paper method. Melvira didn't work at all for me. icon_cry.gif I must not be smart enough of something... icon_redface.gif

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 8

I think it's much easier to cover a cake with fondant. I have better luck smoothing and having it look nice VS buttercream. That said, I do LOVE sugarshack's icing recipe. It goes on very smooth and using the viva method does work very well. By the way I gave up on MMF and only use Satin Ice now.(haven't ever tried Michelle Foster's recipe though) I just get it out of the bucket, knead and roll out; never have to worry about different consistencies etc with it icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:24pm
post #4 of 8

I only make cakes for family and friends.....
I have used mmf accents on b/c, but we're not huge fondant fans.

Here's an everything you ever wanted to know about your first tiered cake that has popular recipes for both b/c and fondant (and so much more):

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5958955-.html

HTH

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 8

OH Jan I LOVE LOVE LOVE your new avatar!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:22am
post #6 of 8

I too have mostly used BC but love the smooth finish of fondant. Since I've taken to using Satin Ice, it's been a big hit in a family used to only BC on the taste issue.

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:48am
post #7 of 8

I agree with the others.... Satin Ice is the way to go. I have tried making my own MMF a number of times and I can never get it the right consistancy. It always ends up droopy! If you choose BC, I recently discovered that my fondant smoother is a great way to smooth your BC. Let it crust and go to town.

HTH!

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:50am
post #8 of 8

Both! I like BC, but like the mmf for ease. So put a regular layer of BC on and then Fondant!

Stephanie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%