Timing Baking And Travel Help!

Decorating By Smiller94 Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 9:48pm by DianeLM

Smiller94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smiller94 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 4

Help needed!

I have my first wedding cake due this weekend. I have to travel 350 miles to finish it. My plan was to start baking on Thursday, travel on Friday, and torte/fill/crumb Friday evening, decorate on Saturday for the wedding at 7 pm on Sunday.

My plans have changed a little, and I have been over worrying about everything.

My Mom has changed the day we leave, we are now scheduled to leave Thursday afternoon, arriving there Thursday night and I start icing and decorating on Friday, finishing on Saturday.

Is it ok to bake 1 day earlier on Wednesday and the cakes still be ok with my time frame?

Also, I am planning on making all the icing before I leave and just travel with it in an ice chest. If I pre-made my buttercream on Wednesday and didnât ice the cakes until Friday will I need to re-whip the icing before using? I will be limited on space during traveling, trying to determine if I need to bring my mixer.

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!
Shantelle

3 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 4

Go ahead and bake your cakes on Wednesday, wrap and freeze overnight. The thawing on Thursday will buy you some time.

I always need to rebeat my icing, but I don't use a mixer. I beat small amounts by hand. It just works better for me. Maybe you could try it for this trip so you won't have to bring your mixer.

Smiller94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smiller94 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the reply!

Is baking on Wednesday still okay if I am unable to freeze? My freezer is not big enough for the cakes, unless my Mom would let me store them in her freezer overnight. But that is still a maybe.

If I do freeze them will the cakes be okay defrosting on Thursday and icing on Friday, for a Sunday wedding?

Another question, I am doing WASC cake in 6, 8, 10, 12 layers. The WASC recipe makes alot of batter. I only have (1) 6, (2) 8, (1) 10, (1) 12 set of pans. If I bake a 6 and 10 together, what would be the difference in baking timing?

Does anyone know aprox? How much time it takes to bake a 6", 8", 10", and 12" at 325?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 4

The nice thing about WASC is it stays moist and fresh tasting for a LONG time. However, I still think baking on Wed for Sun is cutting it a bit close. Especially if there will be leftovers. Any freezer space you can find would be ideal. I would NOT recommend refrigerating. The refrigerator sucks the moisture out of cake and makes it taste stale faster than if it just sat at room temp.

I bake WASC almost exclusively and couldn't tell you if you held a gun to my head how long any size pan bakes. icon_lol.gif I just set my timer for 50 minutes and start paying attention after that.

Sure, the 6-inch will bake faster than the 10-inch. Just be very careful not to disturb the 10-inch while you're testing and removing the smaller cake. Don't fling the oven door open either. Open it a few inches, hold for a few seconds, then open the door all the way. That will protect the cakes from the shock of sudden temperature change.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%