Fillings For A Fondant Cake

Decorating By CherylJ Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 8:19pm by tlreetz

CherylJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherylJ Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 9

I know that once you put fondant on a cake you are not supposed to put it into the refrigerator, but all of the fillings I have used before involve cream, milk, or fresh fruit.

Does anyone have any good suggestions on fillings for cakes with fondant (or cakes that will be at room temperature all day)?

Thanks!!

8 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 9

Lots of good tasting choices you have:

- pre-packaged fillings in the sleeves
- mix jams with buttercream
- add a flavoring oil to buttercream
- nutella
- etc...

FYI... I put my fondant cakes in the fridge and never had any issues (but heard horror stories from others who have - go figure!).

johnniekake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnniekake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 9

I put all my fondant cakes in the fridge.................so any filling you like.

johnniekake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnniekake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 9

I put all my fondant cakes in the fridge.................so any filling you like.

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 9

I put mine in the fridge as well. So you can use any filling.

CherylJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherylJ Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for the advice!

How long is it safe to have a creme based filling in a cake out in room temperature?

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 9

I don't have to refrigerate my fondant cakes because my fillings do not require refrigeration.

I only use the sleeved pastry fillings...which are also available in Vanilla Bavarian Cream and Chocolate Bavarian Cream, neither of which need refrigeration.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 9

For fillings I usually use buttercream with jams, chocolate chip cookie dough made without eggs, amaretto, caramel, etc.... I shy away from fresh fruit because they always need to be fridged to keep from wilting, so to speak, and their delicate nature. I've heard that cream based fillings can be kept out for approx. 2-3 hours. Weather depending I guess.

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:19pm
post #9 of 9

I put all my fondant cakes in the fridge, too! The only time you will run into a problem is if you use MMF, that you CAN NOT put in the fridge. It's turns soft and mushy and will have a high gloss finish to it. Satin Ice is my fondant of choice, easy to work with and tastes great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%