Buttercream

Decorating By sugarcheryl Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 12:25am by tracey1970

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 7

I know this question probably has been ask so many times but I look at the cakes that use buttercream how do you get it to almost like fondant. I've gotten better but I want it smooth. For the longest I stayed away from buttercream and did fondant but not everyone like fondant. icon_sad.gif

6 replies
mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 7

I use a bench scraper to get it as smooth as possible, then after it crusts a little I use Viva paper towels laid across and smooth with my hands first then with a fondant smoother (same on the sides) and then to finish off I do the same thing with computer printer paper.

HTH!

sugarcheryl Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks. The scraper did help but that paper towel left the imprint and do you just use the paper towel on top?

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 7

You have to use Viva with no texture or print. It's just plain. And yes, you do the sides the same way.

sugarcheryl Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 7

Okay I will try it thanks.

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 7

I use the scraper, and after it crusts, use the Melvira Method, or use a clean white sheet of computer paper- I always use BC, and it comes out fairly smooth, just make sure it is crusted well before using the paper or roller (Melvira).
HTH

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:25am
post #7 of 7

I also use both the computer paper method and the Melvira method on different cakes, depending on what I feel like that day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%