How Do I Make Good Tasting Fondant?

Decorating By jhale0622 Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 3:39pm by patrincia

jhale0622 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhale0622 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 7

I have always used buttercream on cakes because a lot of people don't seem to like the taste of fondant. Any suggestions on making good tasting fondant?

6 replies
Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 7

Your flavors can be any combination, I make the MMF and put tsp of vanilla, tsp of butter flavor and 2 tsp of creme bouquet. I love the flavor.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 7

i use satin ice and that tastes really good. i've heard lots of good things about Michele Foster's fondant, i just prefer the convenience of not making it myself.

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 7

MMF tastes GREAT! Everyone tells me it's like candy. One lady I do cakes for always asks for the 'good icing' LOL.

I use vanilla flavorings in my MMF.

ashcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashcake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 7

MMF taste great. You can also add Kool-aid to color it. That makes it taste even better. I tried cherry this weekend and it was a hit!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 7

Make Michele Foster's recipe. I really don't care for MMF.. the texture or the taste.. it's so sickly sweet. Michele Foster's recipe is just as good (if not better) than any commercial fondant I have tried and it's easy to make. The recipe is here in the recipe section. I have tried mank MMF recipes, Toba Garrett's fondant recipe.. some other obscure recipe I found on-line.. tried Satin Ice, Fondex, and Choco-Pan.. Michele's fondant is my favorite hands down.

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 7

I really like Rose Levy Beranbaum's fondant, which tasted like oreo filling from 30 years ago. It melts in your mouth. One word or caution though... the new formulation of crisco has caused some trouble with this recipe (from the now 20 year old cake bible), but her blog states Spectrum Organic shortening is an excellent substitute.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%