Does Anyone Own A Pastry Brushe That Does Not Leave Bristles

Decorating By giggysmack Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 5:01pm by golfgirl1227

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:31am
post #1 of 12

Arg!!!
I'm frustrated with my pastry brushes leaving it's bristles does anyone know of a brand that doesn't leave bristles?

11 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:52am
post #2 of 12

I have a couple of cheap ones I bought at walmart and so far they don't leave bristles. They were about two dollars for the pair.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:22am
post #3 of 12

I have a silicone pastry brush like this one and I LOVE IT!! No more dropped bristles, and it's easy to clean too!

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:30am
post #4 of 12

I have this problem with paint brushes. I have bought the ones from Wilton and they leave bristles, I bought ok ones from the painting section and they leave bristles. I am afraid to buy a good set... because if they leave bristles I will just cry.

Does anyone know what paint brushes to buy, so that they don't leave bristles?

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:30am
post #5 of 12

I have this problem with paint brushes. I have bought the ones from Wilton and they leave bristles, I bought ok ones from the painting section and they leave bristles. I am afraid to buy a good set... because if they leave bristles I will just cry.

Does anyone know what paint brushes to buy, so that they don't leave bristles?

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:37am
post #6 of 12

I too have made the switch to silicone... no more bristles in my baked goods!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:57am
post #7 of 12

I bought a couple of silicone ones (they have two for a dollar at Dollar Tree) but they don't work as well for me as the bristle ones.

For the paint brushes, I use the really cheap kids brushes (except for tiny details, a script liner brush from the real paintbrush section works for that). I usually will twist the bristles a little and pull to see if any are going to come loose. If you dry the paint brushes upside down (bristle end up) they last a lot longer.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 10:18am
post #8 of 12

I absolutely hate the silicone ones. I bought one to use exclusively for sugar. The darn brush don't hold any amount of liquid. I got it hanging on a rack. At least it's red, and looks good.

I think mine is from Adeco. works great.

Mike

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:44pm
post #9 of 12

If you are talking about using it for putting splashes onto cakes? Splashes meaning y'know simple syrup with Grand Marnier or some flavor. One of the guys I worked for used a squirt bottle for this. So that's how I've always done it. Works great. Quick too.

Of course if you were meaning to apply pan release aka pan goop, then a paper towel works great. But I think I'd rather use a gloved hand. Actually I just line my pans with silicone paper myself but...

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:03pm
post #10 of 12

I've adapted to silicone, too. It's not exactly the same as a bristled brush, but it doesn't drop bristles in my food! A woman at work never eats my desserts any more, because a long time ago she found what she thought was a hair on one of my cakes. It wasn't, of course (I pull my hair into a bun and wear a wide fabric band over it when I work)... it was a bristle from the darn pastry brush I'd used to paint cake release on the pan.

Now I use the spray-cans for that, and use a silicone brush for almost everything else. The only time I still use a bristled brush is when brushing the powder (cornstarch, powdered sugar) off my finished cakes.... silicone doesn't work for that.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:05pm
post #11 of 12

Silicone for me as a general purpose brush. For fine dusting of small details, I use a fan shaped paint brush with silicone bristles. For simple syrup, I use the squirt bottle or (my firend just suggested this recently and it works great) I use the same type bottle topper one uses for olive oil, etc. Works great!

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:01pm
post #12 of 12

I buy mine at the restaurant supply store and have no problems so far. The ones I used to have left bristles. I have the paint brush problem as well, and I bought the decent ones from the art section= not the cheap ones, but not the most expensive ones either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%