Non-Cake Idea For Horticulturalist

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 12:18pm by emrldsky

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 11

I was contacted by my dh's cousin's wife & asked if I could make a cake for her dh's bday. She would prefer something other than cake b/c they are having 2 other bdays that weekend & affraid they'll be tired of cake.

The only thing i have to go on is he likes chocolate, oreos & she would like something to do w/ landscaping (since that's his job). I'm at a loss w/ what to do. I do make cookies, but have never done a non-cake dessert.

Any ideas on a non-cake & also decorations? Thanks I'm sure I could go w/ a cake if I had to, she would just prefer something else. This will be traveling about 3 hours too.

10 replies
emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 11

She wants a cake, but not a cake?

I would think cookies shaped like landscaping tools placed on a plate of "dirt" would be cute. *shrug*

dandelion56602 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 11

Well, she would prefer to not have to have a cake, maybe a dessert of some kind, I could do tools, but would have to cut out everyone by hand. I'm at a loss too.

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:06am
post #4 of 11

How about an ice cream dessert made in a 13x9 pan?

1. Make a choc. wafer cookie/oreo-based crust with butter, etc
2. Then a layer of softened ice cream (any kind--vanilla, mint choc chip), 3. Then a layer of hot fudge
4. And anything else you want to add, like nuts or more crushed oreos
5. Another layer of softened ice cream
6. Final top layer of crushed dark choc wafer cookies so it looks like dirt.

Decorate the top like one of those 'garden' cakes, with carrots, cabbages, tools. Or, make it more like landscaping, with a pile of candy rocks, some piped green grass, with a grass tip, shovel, tools, etc.

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 7:03am
post #6 of 11

How about a chocolate cheesecake? Yeah it is still cake but a difference. Cheesecakes can still be decorated very nicely too.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:45am
post #7 of 11

I like the cheesecake or ice cream cake ideas, but neither of those would survive traveling for 3 hours.

You could do a giant chocolate chip cookie or brownie and then add some landscaping tools in frosting. (A giant brownie would have a smooth enough top that you could lay fondant cut-outs on top and they would look nice and smooth).

You could also do a bunch of cookies on sticks stuck into a flowerpot...

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:53pm
post #8 of 11

You could make fruit topiaries with choc. covered strawberries, etc.

dandelion56602 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:47am
post #9 of 11

Thanks for your help. She did decide (with a little persuation) to go w/ a cake. We just went outside the box of a typical flavor. Whew! But I will definitely keep in mind cheesecakes, brownies & big cookies for the future. Don't know why I didn't think of them before now.

One question. Do you have any suggestions for mulch? I was going to do toasted coconut, but there are quite a few kids & I know coconut is one of those hate it or love it ingredients.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:44am
post #10 of 11

maybe grated fondant for mulch?

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:18pm
post #11 of 11

Chocolate shavings. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%