Sugared Rasberries

Decorating By mmgiles Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 5:54pm by buttercream_dreams

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 7

I need to know how to sugar rasberries. Is it just as simple as tolling them in some granulated sugar, is there some trick to it? TIA

6 replies
junebuggey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junebuggey Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 7

Brush with egg white (I use All Whites because they are pasteurized) and then sprinkle with sugar.

Happy Baking!
Junebuggey

Muse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muse Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 7

You may want to let them dry thoroughly after that. I tried that once and they bled all over the cake. I was in a hurry also, though.

Darci

mmgiles Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 7

Ok so do I take these berries and put them on a paper towel and then brush them, sugar them and let them dry. Then arrange them on the cake?

Is there a trick to the egg whites because it really sounds gross.

junebuggey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junebuggey Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 7

No, you do not have it correct.

1. Wash and dry you berries.
2. brush with pasteurized egg white (All Whites)
3. Roll in sugar.
4. Let berries dry completely before applying to cake.

It is not as gross as you think. The egg white is protein and it dries as a thin sealant coat. It will help keep the berry from turning and holds the sugar inplace. Without the egg white, the sugar will draw out the juice in the berry and make a huge mess.

Hope this helps.
Junebuggey

mmgiles Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 7

Ok thanks so much for the help. Now I'm just being naive at this point but is all whites a brand? DO they carry this at normal grocery stores, walmart, albertsons, etc? Or am I just over thinking and it means no yokes?

buttercream_dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercream_dreams Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 7

does it help to do the first coat in regular fine sugar, and then right before they are finished drying completely (the egg white that is) possibly toss them in superfine caster sugar, for that extra frosted/sugared look?
also, to add on, i would suggest doing this atleast the night before/a day ahead of time so that you can wash the berries and allow them to dry completely, then do the egg thing, and then allow those to set up before you place them on the cake..also maybe consider placing on a waxed paper circle or something equivalent to avoid any bleeding/juicing at all cost. jmo.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%