Dr. Suess Cake Huh?

Decorating By kerri729 Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 5:16pm by kerri729

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 10

HI all,
I made my very first topsy-turvy cake last week for my son's 5th grade graduation, and almost every person who commented on it said "Oh wow, very Dr. Suess", or "Cool Dr. Suess cake"- now I have heard many terms for a TT, Whimsical, Crooked cake, but never Dr. Suess- is it the colors they are referring to or yet another acronym for a TT cake? I have seen the Cat in the Hat cakes, so not sure where they are coming from- take a look:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1230730

Don't get me wrong, I don't take offense to it, I just would like to see the cake they might be referring to.
icon_confused.gif

9 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 10

http://www.kidcraft.ca/images/drseuss_hat.gif

this is a Dr. Seuss birthday hat and i belive in one of the books this cake was shown! That may be what they're referring to. They also call them mad hatter cakes where I live.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 10

I think it's not so much the colors, but the topsy-turvy look AND the decorations on the top, hanging down almost to a point.

It's really cute though, and so is Dr. Seuss. icon_smile.gif Good job!!!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 10

wow! I really love the cake!

i think it could be that people think of those colors as Dr. Suess...but, that doesn't mean it's a bad thing! I think it just means that craziness could possibly equal Dr. Seuss!
So, hone that phrase and tell people that's what it is! LOL
icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 10

As long as they enjoyed looking at it, and enjoyed eating it, I personally wouldn't care what they called it, as long as it wasn't "dogpile" or something similarly gross.

But that's just my opinion.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 10

Very Sussian :thumbsup:. I consider it a compliment.

allydav Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allydav Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 10

Great cake! I wouldn't have thought Dr. Suess, but I can see how one person called it that and everyone else kept the name because perhaps they didn't know of topsy turvy or whimisical cakes. It looks great anyway.

kerri729 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 5:12pm
post #8 of 10

Whew.......thanks! I didn't really take offense to it, I just kind of chalked it up to being from a small town in Wisconsin, where people are not exposed to the new and different things in the cake decorating world! All I know is my son's class mates were dreading me cutting it- of course, until they tasted it!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 10

Cool! Congrats!

kerri729 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 5:16pm
post #10 of 10

Whew.......thanks! I didn't really take offense to it, I just kind of chalked it up to being from a small town in Wisconsin, where people are not exposed to the new and different things in the cake decorating world! All I know is my son's class mates were dreading me cutting it- of course, until they tasted it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%