Greedy Cake Eaters And Their Attitudes!

Decorating By emrldsky Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 10:38pm by cakekrayzie

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 20

Let me start off first by saying that I'm a hobby cake decorator. That being said, I make the birthday cakes for my coworkers and boss (our total group is only 7 people).

However, one of my coworkers is soooo greedy and RUDE! About 6 months ago, all I heard at meetings was, "So...when are we going to have cake?" Time and time again, so much so that I nearly swore off doing any cakes for the group, just because of her attitude. I'm usually not so passive-aggressive, but she hasn't quite pushed me to the point...yet.

Anyway, so birthdays start coming again, and I finished up Wilton Course II and am in Course III right now. Today our secretary reminds us that her birthday is Monday and greedy-cake eater says, "I'm about caked out!" *strangles imaginary greedy-cake eater*

Do I mention anything to my boss about it? She was right there, and this woman has been insulting in the past IN FRONT OF MY BOSS, and my boss hasn't said anything to her. I don't think she will either.

I know, I know, it's just cake...but really, it's more than that. It's the way she treats people.

19 replies
Kitchen_Witch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitchen_Witch Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 20

Hm, well if she is going to play the passive aggressive game then maybe when her birthday comes up you'll be too booked to make a cake to bring in to work. :p

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 20

Well, if she can treat people like this and get away with it, she will continue. Next time, just tell her straight out, don't play games or she might not get the meaning.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 20

I know you have to work with these people and there is only one rotten apple in the bunch....but I would just quit making cake for them. You don't have to give a explaination, the others know, and be done with it.......

I love to share too, but when your efforts aren't appreciated......to bad for them... I'm sorry, I'm pretty passive too but enough is enough!

Congratulations on your classes.....isn't it fun.
(except for some people.....lol)

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 20

If you bring it up, you'll just seem petty.

Just let it go, and don't bring her any more cake since she's confessed to being "caked out".

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:24pm
post #6 of 20

I'm a student of Mad Magazine's Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions, so quick one-liners come easily to me.

As soon as greedy-cake-eater said "I'm Caked Out" I would have said, "Fine, then don't eat any!," or "Well, that's one less serving I will have to bake!," or "Good, more for me!"

Theresa icon_smile.gif

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:27pm
post #7 of 20

There is always one to spoil the fun, isn't there?

I work in what has become a large company. However, my immediate group totals only 4. Right after I finished my Wilton courses one of them had a birthday so I tried out my new skills - everyone loved it. Then another came shortly after - same thing...however, if someone outside the group joked "hey, my birthday's coming up", I made it very clear in a nice way..."oh no way I can make cakes for everyone - too many people. I can barely manage this department".

Nice people will understand - your rotton apple will never get it.

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:30pm
post #8 of 20

I'll almost bet you that when you take the cake, "greeedy-cake-eater" will eat it! Don't worry about her, make the cake for your secretary anyway! I'm sure she appreciates it! Just don't make GCE one for HER birthday since she is "all caked out"!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:34pm
post #9 of 20

I would tell her that while it's HER birthday, you'd still like everyone else to enjoy some cake while they celebrate HER DAY....that is IF she doesn't mind???

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:40pm
post #10 of 20

I guess from your post I can't see what was so rude that she said. I believe you, because I know you can't put a year's worth of info in a post, but maybe she just really likes your cake? Maybe it is meant as a compliment? Or does she just seem ungrateful? If she is "caked out" then I just wouldnt make it, if you don't want to.

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:46pm
post #11 of 20

If she is caked out, then I would reply, "you don't have to eat it..."

But it seems like there are contradictory things here - she kept asking about the next cake, then says she is "caked out."

emrldsky Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:47pm
post #12 of 20

Thanks everyone! I just had to let it all out before I exploded...in her office. :/

She said it with a snide-tone. It's really hard to write it exactly how she said it, but it came across as condescending (I'm not the only one in the meeting that caught it). She just has that attitude with most things, though.

Essentially, our secretary, whose birthday it is, said she doesn't care if it's cake, cookie, etc. She'll take what I make, and she'll be happy. So I'm going to make cupcakes (I need to look at the cupcake thread for great ideas), and if Greedy wants one she can have one.

I'm going to *try* to be the "bigger" person in the situation, so we'll see how it goes. I'm also a proponent of killing with kindness, if I think it could work.

I did tell my boss that Greedy might just ruin it for the rest of them, but she told me that everyone else would definitely miss the cakes (and the time that goes into decorating them), and that they all appreciate them...even if one doesn't.

emrldsky Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:58pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeltoKel

If she is caked out, then I would reply, "you don't have to eat it..."

But it seems like there are contradictory things here - she kept asking about the next cake, then says she is "caked out."

That's kind of another point of mine...it's as if she can never be happy with the situation, whether it's about cake or not. :/ This time, it just happens to be about cake!

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 5:16pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Do I mention anything to my boss about it? She was right there, and this woman has been insulting in the past IN FRONT OF MY BOSS, and my boss hasn't said anything to her. I don't think she will either.

I know, I know, it's just cake...but really, it's more than that. It's the way she treats people.

No, don't mention anything to your boss. It's not your boss' job to handle the personal interactions of an adult. YOU on the other hand can "check" this lady and put her in her place if it bothers YOU. We are responsible for teaching people how to treat us, so it would be your job to say something.
See, I can be mean, so I would bring cupcakes with picks in them with everybody's name but hers. OR just don't bring anything for her birthday.
But at the end of the day who has time for pettiness...sometimes icon_cool.gif
Bottom line, put her in her place.

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 5:19pm
post #15 of 20

Oh, there is one of that breed in my office too⦠I am seriously considering stealing this idea from beachcakes for this cakezillaâs birthday next month: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=29454 - "Here's your Dam cake!"

emrldsky Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 6:05pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by shisharka

Oh, there is one of that breed in my office too⦠I am seriously considering stealing this idea from beachcakes for this cakezillaâs birthday next month: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=29454 - "Here's your Dam cake!"

I LOVE it! lol

And to others...the only reason I would bring my manager into it is because we're a tight-nit group, and the manager was sitting there in all instances, and didn't say anything. She even admitted to wanting to say something to my coworker, but not knowing what to say (this was regarding another instance that had nothing to do with cake).

emrldsky Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:36pm
post #17 of 20

I just want to say thanks for everyone's advice. I really feel much better about things today, and will just brush this off.

I also think I'm going to make a cupcake bouquet (based on a LOT of research on here) for our secretary's birthday. She'll LOVE it. icon_smile.gif

Thanks again!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:59pm
post #18 of 20

I had a lady in my (former) office who was constantly asking "When are you bringing in a cake?" or "My birthday is next month!"

My response to her inquiries on "when are you bringing in a cake?" .....?

"As soon as you place your order and write me a check for it."

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 10:19pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I had a lady in my (former) office who was constantly asking "When are you bringing in a cake?" or "My birthday is next month!"

My response to her inquiries on "when are you bringing in a cake?" .....?

"As soon as you place your order and write me a check for it."

Amen to this!!! My gosh I can't say how many people come to me saying, "mmm, got any cake or cookies" or "my birthday's coming up".
What the hell you telling me for? If you want something, let's practice using our words (like I tell 3year olds)...it goes like this...
"Jennifer, my birthday's coming up and I WANT TO PLACE AN ORDER for a cake"...now we're talking.

my question is...do these people drive by the gas station saying "wow, my tank sure is low" or by the grocery store "ooh, I sure need some food in the pantry". NO!! They take they a** there and order/get and pay for what they want! Same applies to me! Don't throw out hints, cuz depending on which game we're playing I'm not a good catcher!!! LOL icon_cool.gif

cakekrayzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakekrayzie Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 10:38pm
post #20 of 20

there always has to be one no matter where you go, i send things to the secretaries at my nephews school stuff that i try out but will never eat be able to eat all of . one of them always takes what i bring and thinks its all for her, i took in butter cookies once i had tried a new recipe i took in enough for all of them she kept them all and only gave a few out to the others. she also had the nerve to tell me anything was welcome except for anything that has almond in it because her son is allergic to it, i asked is he super sensitive and she replies no he is actually allergic to peanuts but i don't really care for almonds icon_mad.gif . after that they got no more goodies, she ruined it for me with her ungratefulness. when its free you take and appreciate it or keep your mouth shut.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%