Keep Violet From Turning Gray

Decorating By smashcakes Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 11:13am by indydebi

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:24am
post #1 of 5

What can i do, i need to a lavendar color, but when i let my violet icing sit, it turns grayish-definitely not lavendarish. this also happens with my gumpaste. what causes this and what can i do to stop it from happening. i can't find a thread on it, but i'm sure there probably is one. thanks for any help.

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:27am
post #2 of 5

It's a common question (I explain it all the time).....

Lavender/purple is made from blue and red.

Over 20 years ago, Red Dye #2 was removed from the market. Ever since then, we've been dealing with reds that don't hold color. Bright light (florescent, sunlight, etc) will cause the red to fade out, leaving you with just the blue. Since the colors we use are not "pure" colors, the blue you are left with can be blue, off-blue, kinda blue, blue-grey, grey, etc.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 3:36am
post #3 of 5

I recently read on the web that we should use milk, not water, as our liquid for BC; this prevents/reduces fading. Also, keep it stored in the dark.

I don't know how to prevent this problem with gumpaste, though.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:01am
post #4 of 5

I agree..Is the UV..stay away from windows and UV lighting..they will make them fade..
Edna

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:13am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsawyer

I recently read on the web that we should use milk, not water, as our liquid for BC; this prevents/reduces fading.

Could be very true .... my recipe uses milk; I've never used water; and I rarely, if ever, have had a fading issue unless the sun was beating in thru the van windows during delivery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%