Has Anyone Made This Cupcake Cake?

Decorating By born2bake Updated 19 Jun 2008 , 7:25pm by SugarMama602

drurys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drurys Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:26am
post #31 of 42

I got the giant wilton pan for Christmas and made a cupcake cake with it. VERY easy and fun... Here is my pic icon_smile.gif
LL

floophs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floophs Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:44am
post #32 of 42

Drurys...that is SUPER cute! Hmmm...might have to make a special trip to JoAnn's tomorrow. icon_lol.gif

born2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:51am
post #33 of 42

drurys - what a cool looking cupcake! Thanks for sharing. I'd be thrilled if mine came out a fraction as good as yours did.

Well I took mine out of the oven and it baked GREAT! No problems. I used the DH Moist Deluxe cake mix and added 1/2 the recipe of the extended cake mix recipe. This brought it about 3/4 inch from the rim and when the cake baked it rose up to the rim with very little dome in the middle (I did use cake strips). With the box mix/extender, I measured out 4 1/4 cups of batter for the bottom and 2 3/4 for the top. I baked it for 70 minutes at 325 (as posted on the Wilton boards). You could make the entire batch of cake extender add it to the box mix and with the leftover batter make regular cupcakes.

I still need to frost it, but that's tomorrow night. It's bedtime now.

B2B

floophs Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:04am
post #34 of 42

I'm kind of embarrassed to ask this but I'm still a newbie in the whole world of cake decorating. icon_redface.gif Would it be possible to hollow out some of the bottom part of this cake and put ice cream in it as a filling or would the cake part freeze too hard for serving? (Does that make sense?) I just think it would be cool if you could slice it and have the ice cream inside of it. Wouldn't it be pretty...a white cake with strawberry ice cream inside or something similar?

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:17am
post #35 of 42

When I first got the pan it was to make my DD 16th birthday cake. She wanted the giant cupcake and also zebra stripes. This is what I came up with
LL

floophs Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:10pm
post #36 of 42

Bohnlo...very cute cake. I love the zebra stripes! icon_lol.gif

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:34pm
post #37 of 42

Hey all! I'm giving one of these pans away on my blog... so if you'd like to have one and don't, follow the link in my sigline. icon_biggrin.gif The giveaway is open to all residents of the USA, bloggers and nonbloggers alike.

~Wendy

Bohnlo Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:40pm
post #38 of 42

Thanks floophs, the zebra stripes was my daughters reqest.

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:26pm
post #39 of 42

I bought this pan, but haven't tried it yet. I can't wait for the excuse!

Did anyone who has been successful with it have to dowel it at all? Or put a cardboard layer between the top and bottom? Just thinking about structural stuff....

Bohnlo Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:58pm
post #40 of 42

I didn't have to dowel it, but I did you that separation to put a frosting dam and filling in, sort of helps cement top and bottom.

shalderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalderman Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 6:39pm
post #41 of 42

Sorry didn't have time to read all the replies but here's my info based on my experience with this cake - I made one based off that pic (in my photos) cause someone wanted something similar but different colors. The pan does NOT use 10 c of batter - its liquid capacity is 10 c but that would be filled to the brim. One cake mix is enough. My mixes end up with about 5.5 c of batter and I put about 2-2.5 in the top and the remainder in the bottom. Both halves rose up beautiful to the top (and over the top).

I baked both halves at the same time. They key to not overbaking the top is first do your oven temp at 325. Second, take a 6" round pan and put about 1" or so of water in it, set the point of the upper part of the cupcake into this pan of water in the oven. Bake until done (took at least 45 min...might have been 50 or 55). Mine baked perfect, not burnt, not overdone. And at the same time!

Oh and I sold mine for $35 ... it was way easy to decorate, was only one cake mix and the customer let me use her pan since I didn't have it and really didn't want to invest the $30-ish in the pan. She bought it but didn't have time to make one herself.

Wilton says 10-12 servings yet you can get much more than that out of an 8" round or 1 layer 9x13 made with the same amount. But you have to creatively cut this cake. LOL Its so tall and not wide. No supports/dowels/boards needed inbetween - just ice and stack up.

Hope I covered everything icon_smile.gif

Steph

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 7:25pm
post #42 of 42

Great, thanks for the additional info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%