How To Stop Fondant From Cracking When Stacking

Decorating By bittersweet Updated 15 Jun 2008 , 6:48pm by leah_s

bittersweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bittersweet Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 3

I am having a problem when stack my cakes covered with fondant. icon_cry.gif I use plenty of dowel rods I thought that was the problem but not so sure. Could someone give me some pointers on this. I really cheeses me off after all that work and the bottom later cracks. Thanks for any help.

2 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 3

Are you letting your cake rest before covering in fondant? Or maybe using too much icing underneath? The way I understand it, if you use a stiff icing dam and let it rest for a couple hour to settle, then trim any bulge off, cover in a thin layer of icing, you get a more stable base. Too much icing may soften and cause your fondant to move around and if it set up and then you are putting weight on it, it will crack.

I gave up on dowels a long time ago icon_smile.gif I wonder if you are supposed to put your SPS or dowel supports in while the fondant is fresh so it all sets up together? Sorry I am not more help - at least this will be a bump.......

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 3

Definitely put the SPS legs in while the fondant is soft and pliable. I cracked a cake in a major way last weekend by jamming in the plate/leg assembly a) too fast and b) after the fondant had "set."

And I know better . . . sigh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%