Friday The 13Th Wedding! Omg, I Went Brain Dead!

Decorating By indydebi Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 1:16am by KrisD13

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 11

As many know, I had 2 weekends in a row that were freebies for my 2 nephews .... hubby's nephew on 6-7-08 and my nephew on 6-13-08. The 6-7 one went great, but I went so brain dead on the 6-13 one! (Hmmmm .... Friday the 13th ... could that have been a factor? icon_confused.gif )

Both weddings were in my hometown, which is about 75 miles away. The 6-13 wedding had a LOT of food, so I took all of my equipment to the reception site that morning (2 trips ... 150 round trip miles each ... $4 a gallon .... gosh, I AM Aunt of the Year!).

So about 15 minutes before we arrive at the reception, I realize I forgot the butter for the rolls. Crap!! When I get to town, I pull into a grocery and of course there are no individually wrapped butters (which I didn't expect to find, but that little part of me is HOPING......!). So I buy 4 tubs of butter. Thankfully, in my equipment I have a small dessert dish .... glass, on a pedestal, about 4" tall, just big enough for a scoop or two of ice cream. I put the butter in this, at the end of the buffet with a knife in it so folks can get butter for their rolls. Not perfect ... but it works.

We're setting things up and I'm ready to set up the chocolate fountains. I turn to my daughter and ask, "Ok... where's the chocolate?" Her eyes get really big and she says, "ummmm..... yeah ..... the chocolate .... ri-i-i-i-ght......." OMG, I left the 25 lb box of chocolate in my shop!! icon_surprised.gif

Well, nothing I can do about it now, so I remove the fountains from the table and put them away. There are plenty of veggie trays and fruit trays, so the appetizer part is still workable. And I'm thinking, "Oh well ... less clean up for me!" (Pic of the appetizer table is on my FLickr site .... I used a new 5-tier stand for the veggies .... the table looked nice and full of food, even without the chocolate.)

I had some new folks working with me and they overfilled the chafer water pans .... so when I put the deep pans of food in them, once of them actually started floating!! As my new niece gets up to the beef-n-noodles (the floating one!), I try to help her stir them and I splash water on the front of her! icon_surprised.gif Not much, just a few drops, but I am mortified!! I look at the photographer and said, "You can Photoshop that out, right?" icon_redface.gif Bride laughs and says, "We've already got the good photos so we're good!"

I just kept thinking of all of the refunds I would have had to give if this had been a REAL job and I'd actually gotten paid for it! icon_lol.gif

And a funny side story. One of my other nieces came up to me while I was talking to my sis (mother of the groom). Niece asks, "When are we going to eat?" Before I can answer, sis turns to me and says, "Is it normally ok to eat before the bride and groom get here?" WIth a big 'ole "DUH!" in my voice, I give her a "are you stupid?" look and say, "Uh....NO!!" (with "no" coming out in 2 syllable!) icon_lol.gif

But on the good side, everyone luv'd the cake and I got tons of compliments on it!! (basketweave entitled "Derek's Cake" in my pics).

Friday the 13th .... I think I'm going to be permanantly "booked" if I get any other requests for a Friday the 13th wedding! icon_eek.gif

10 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 11

OH..... and before I got to hometown, I remembered that I ALSO forgot the power strip for the chocolate fountains. So I run into a drugstore and buy a powerstrip AND a small extension cord "just in case" ... $13 and I ended up not needing them!! icon_mad.gif

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 11

You made it through it! A big hug and a round of applause! Great job! No more Fri the 13th weddings for you-- although again, You made it thru the day!

ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 11

Sounds like it would have been stressful at the time, but you pulled it all off indydebi-style.

I'm glad to hear that everything worked out, and just think...now you have extra power cords for the next time icon_wink.gif

The cake looks great!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 11

Glad it all turned out well for you. I hope you let yourself enjoy the party too! We Aunts are a good lot lol!

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 11

Don't be mad, but I was laughing reading your post. I have a manager who is very superstitious about Friday 13th. He never comes to work on that day, doesn't get out of the house and doesn't release any software (he is head of IT) on a friday 13th.

He is so funny that he needed my help to do something and I work from home all the week and go in on friday to work. I told him he could come to my office that day. He said he couldn't because of friday the 13th even though he wanted that part of work done ASAP. I ended up walking him through over the phone (not easy at all).

But, glad everything turned out good.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 9:36pm
post #7 of 11

LOL sorry indydebi no more friday the 13th cakes for you!! icon_biggrin.gif
I'm glad everthing turned out fine and the cake was lovely

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 10:13pm
post #8 of 11

I love the ribbon on the square basket weave. Such a fresh pretty look --very nice. Man, so much work! You're a gold star Auntie!!!!

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 10:53pm
post #9 of 11

You did a great job! Everything looked stunning! I might have to pay you to come to Cincinnati and cater an event for me! icon_smile.gif

Can I adopt you as my Auntie?!!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 10:56pm
post #10 of 11

I LOVE that basketweave cake !! I'm sure everything was as beautiful as the cake !

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:16am
post #11 of 11

LOL

I LOVE Friday the 13th. I actually had my 13th Birthday on a Friday.....the 13th.

It was the best year I've ever had.

PS In truth, most people have more accidents on Saturday the 14th, cause after being so very careful on the 13th, they relax and figure they are super safe and.......BAM! :p

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%