First Wedding Cake, And Already Aggrivated

Decorating By Smiller94 Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 1:31am by AlamoSweets

Smiller94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smiller94 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 12:06am
post #1 of 9

Another headache

It' my first wedding cake and I ended up doing it for cost. Due to the bride being family and needing help. I have to drive 350 miles for the wedding. And now at last minute, days within having to start baking and the future groom wants to make changes to the wedding cake.

What I had planned was WASC cake with buttercream icing. She just called and wants to know if I can eliminate the almond flavor the cake total. I was like I will try. Let me see what I can come up with.

My questions I need help with is, Since the WASC recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of Vanilla and Almond what would the cake taste like if I just double the vanilla and eliminate the almond?

For a freebie cake that has already cost me 150.00 out of pocket not including my time and the 350 mile drive one way I am surely getting aggravated with all the changes. Especially since I practically begged the bride to come visit with me 4 of the 4 times she has been down the last 3 weeks to come up with final decisions. Instead she left all the decision making to myself. And at the last minute changes are coming in.

Thanks icon_smile.gif
Shantelle

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 12:09am
post #2 of 9

Just eliminate the almond and you should be fine. And on freebie cakes, there are no changes. Heck with paid cakes I don't allow changes closer than 3 weeks prior.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 12:14am
post #3 of 9

I've made the WASC cake with just the vanilla before (I used vanilla for both the vanilla and the almond). Hubby doesn't like almond. Turned out great!

Smiller94 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 4:52am
post #4 of 9

Great, thanks for the replys!

I will try just the vanilla.

Thanks alot!

Shantelle

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 9

I reccomend that you use real vanilla though...it tastes so much better and I personally can always taste the artifical flavor of the clear. It tastes almost astringent to me.

HTH

Julia

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 11:05pm
post #6 of 9

I tried just vanilla, vanilla and butter, and the vanilla and almond. Like them all. I feel your pain on all the changes so late in the game, especially for such a generous freebie!

Smiller94 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:54am
post #7 of 9

if I use the real vanilla extract how would it color the white wedding cake? I always hate using the clear vanilla on my icing and cakes just because I know its not real vanilla.

Thanks for the responses!!!!!!!!!

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:22am
post #8 of 9

I use real vanilla in the WASC all the time and it does not affect the color at all. It does in the icing, so I just use real and add some white color from wilton.

Good luck

Julia

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:31am
post #9 of 9

I ALWAYS use the clear imitation vanilla and almond in my WASC and EVERYONE loves it. If you are unsure or if you want to end any changes I suggest that you tell them you have them baked and in the freezer and do just that. Freezing them will help you with the settling issues you may have on the long trip to the destination. That will end all changes and they should appreciate what you are doing for them. I just did a freebie package of a wedding and a grooms's cake that I could have charge $1,500 and luckily they were so appreciative they gave me free rein over them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%