Recipe Review And Question

Baking By kjt Updated 15 Jun 2008 , 3:42pm by Jayde

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:40am
post #1 of 4

I just made Trixie's Chocolate Stout Cake-YUM! And as promised it is VERY moist thumbs_up.gif .
Therein lies my dilema. I am afraid that because it is so moist it won't be suitable for stacking. Does any body have any suggestions to make this cake have a denser "crumb"?

Here's the recipe:
Trixie's Chocolate Stout Cake

I read on the forum about how delicious this "from scratch" Chocolate Stout Cake recipe was, so I made it. It had a really good flavor, but was dry as a bone! I tweaked my normal cake recipe and made my own version of what everybody has deemed to be "THE BEST CHOCOLATE CAKE THEY'VE EVER EATEN!"

1 box chcolate cake mix-I use DH dark chocolate fudge
1 box instant chocolate pudding mix
1C oil
4 eggs
1 1/2t vanilla
1C stout beer(Guiness)

Blend eggs until light yellow, and slowly add oil to emulsify. Add pudding mix and vanilla. Sift cake mix and add to egg mixture along with the beer. Mix on low just until everything comes together, stopping to scrape down sides. Mix on medium( I put my KA on 6) and beat for 3 minutes. Bake in prepared pans at 340 degrees until toothpick comes out clean.

It really is good...
Thanks in advance for any input.
Kathy

3 replies
Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 4:06am
post #2 of 4

Try sifting your cake mix, and your pudding together. That gets out all of the big lumps which causes air bubbles while your cake is baking thus making it lighter. Sifting gets rid of the big clumps and makes the bubbles smaller. Thats an IndyDebi tip icon_wink.gif .

Adding sour cream makes a denser cake as well. You could experiment with amounts.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks Jayde for the response. I do sift already. Would you replace some of the oil with the sour cream, or just add sour cream?
What do you think about adding an extra egg?
With the cost of ingredients rising minute by minute, I hate to have to bake several trial cakes...

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 4

I would probably replace some of the oil, but not a lot of it, since you dont was the cake to dry out. Try replacing 1/4c of oil with 1/2 c sour cream. I think thats a good place to start.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%