Help !!!!

Decorating By joylisa08 Updated 15 Jun 2008 , 11:29pm by joylisa08

joylisa08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joylisa08 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:14am
post #1 of 14

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me an easy way to make coral. Need it for an upcoming cake.

Thanks-
joy icon_rolleyes.gif

13 replies
BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:23am
post #2 of 14

What kind of coral?

I've made rock coral out of sugar (and royal icing), coral sprays out of isomalt and sugar colors and also piped out white chocolate and sprinkled with sugar crystals (the large ones... which for some reason I can't think of what they're called. Brain farts... ugh.)

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:23am
post #3 of 14

Forgot to add - all three examples can be found on the Nemo cake in my gallery.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:46am
post #4 of 14

I've piped it with candy melts - just uploaded a shell cake with it.

I've also seen a cake here, sorry can't remember who did it, but she rolled out a piece of fondant and cut holes out of it and let it dry.

beachcakes Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:47am
post #5 of 14

I've piped it with candy melts - just uploaded a shell cake with it.

I've also seen a cake here, sorry can't remember who did it, but she rolled out a piece of fondant and cut holes out of it and let it dry.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:50am
post #6 of 14

oh, I know I saw it on here that someone said they use melted white chocolate and piped it over a bowl of ice cubes so it would harden all bumpy and curvy like real coral.

beachcakes Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:54am
post #7 of 14
LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:58am
post #8 of 14

hmmm, i tried searching for the ice cube post but couldn't find it... I did find this though

http://forum.cakecentral.com/coral-chocolate-ideas-ftopicp-4676893.html#4676893

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:01am
post #9 of 14

I did this one behind the people http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1226541

I crushed ice in my blender, melted candy melts and poured it onto the crushed ice in a bowl. Then I tapped the bowl so it would sink down. Waited a few minutes and voila! It turned out really nice.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:09am
post #10 of 14

On her lighthouse cake for the throwdown last month Grace (sugar plum fairy) did coral by piping chocolate melts on crushed ice (i think).

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1228310.html

DesignsByMandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsByMandie Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:13am
post #11 of 14

Did anybody watch the Food Network Challenge with the Disney Pixar cakes?? The one that won had coral on it...It was for Finding Nemo...It maybe a little cartoon-ish...But maybe it will help icon_smile.gif

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:17am
post #12 of 14

Oh, so glad you asked. I had to make a wedding cake for a destination wedding in Mexico but the party was being held here in Houston. I used the beach as a theme and made coral using aqua tinted royal icing. I found a picture of coral on the internet, enlarged it, printed it, covered it with waxed paper then piped the royal. Let dry and carefully removed it from the paper.

Be sure to make extra because it breaks easily - I think I used a tip #3 or #4. I also coated some of the coral with edible glitter while it was wet.

You can see the picture of my final cake in my photos. I had so much fun making it and the coral really 'made the cake.'

joylisa08 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:25am
post #13 of 14

Thank ypu all very much for being so helpful. I will give it a try.

joy icon_biggrin.gif

joylisa08 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 11:29pm
post #14 of 14

I I use the melted candy and ice method how far in advance can it be done?

Joy usaribbon.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%