Chocolate Frosting.

Decorating By Peeg Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 11:53am by mamacc

Peeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeg Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:54am
post #1 of 7

Can I use Hershey's syrup in my bc to make it chocolate? Also can I usecandy melts instead of bitter sweet squares?I guess it would be easier if someone to give me a good chocolate frosting recipe, that will hold up in HOT weather. Thanks...

6 replies
jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:16am
post #2 of 7

I would think that if you add enough syrup to make vanilla buttercream chocolate, it would be way too thin to frost with. I'm not sure about the candy melts, never tried that, but here is my chocolate buttercream recipe--I've never had any trouble with it holding up in the heat, and it is very tasty if I do say so myself!

I adapted my regular buttercream to make chocolate. It crusts really well and tastes very delicious!! You can see it on the chocolate wedding cake in my photos. It actually was quite a bit darker in person than shows up in the photos

Chocolate Buttercream

1/2 c shortening (NOT the new Crisco!)
1/2 c butter or margarine
1/3 c powdered non dairy coffee creamer
1/2 c cocoa
1/2 c water
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
2 lbs pwd sugar

Cream margarine and shortening well. Add creamer and cocoa and mix well until fluffy. Add salt to the water so that it can dissolve (I do this before I begin). Add powdered sugar, vanilla and water. Mix for about 5 minutes or so til nice and creamy.
Hope this helps!!

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:06am
post #3 of 7

I want to try this recipe but I have some questions:
How much time in advance can I make it? Do I refrigerate until ready to use?
What happens with the new crisco? I use it in my buttercream and I haven't noticed any difference...
Can I substitute the coffee creamer with something else (I just don't have that right now)...
Thanks for your answers!!
Sheila

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:31am
post #4 of 7

I have added cocoa powder (regular and special dark), melted baker's chocolate squares, melted chocolate chips and melted candy melts to my basic crisco and powder sugar icing recipe all with good results.

I liked the taste of the melted chocolates over the cocoa powder, with the the exception of the special dark cocoa powder. It makes my favorite now. icon_smile.gif

I think there is a recipe on here somewhere using chocolate syrup, I would add it before any other liquids. I also want to say I think I have seen a recipe using hot fudge ice cream topping. I may have to play with that sometime if i remember to get some.

I think if you take your regular buttercream recipe you should be able to play with it and get a good chocolate icing that you like. The only think I have noticed is that I have to use extra of my liquid cause adding the chocolate in makes it drier.

jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:25am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmoral

I want to try this recipe but I have some questions:
How much time in advance can I make it? Do I refrigerate until ready to use?
What happens with the new crisco? I use it in my buttercream and I haven't noticed any difference...
Can I substitute the coffee creamer with something else (I just don't have that right now)...
Thanks for your answers!!
Sheila

Hi, Sheila! Sorry I haven't checked my email in a couple of days & just saw this!!

I have made this a few days in advance (like Tues for use on Fri) and it was fine. Just keep in an airtight container at room temp. I always take a piece of plastic wrap and press it to the top of the frosting before I put the lid on to make sure no air gets to it and makes it "crusty".

I haven't used the new crisco in my chocolate frosting because when I did use in my regular buttercream, it tasted "off" and left a greasy coating in the mouth. Not appetizing at all!! I've been afraid to use it since. Don't know if it would work with the chocolate or not, but the only difference in the two recipes is the amount of butter and the addition of the cocoa.

This weekend I did not have any powdered creamer but I did have whipping cream. I substituted a little more than 1/2 cup cream for the creamer and water. It was a little softer than usual and didn't crust as much (it did crust, though), but everyone at the party RAVED about how delicious that frosting was! You could probably do the same with liquid creamer as well. You may even come up with some yummy flavor combinations that way!

Again, I'm sorry I didn't answer sooner, but I hope this helps!

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:00am
post #6 of 7

I made some batches today and my daughter's 7 & 5 think it's delicious. I used my regukar buttercream recipe and added Hershey's syroup, a combination of Hershey's dark and regular cocoa, more water, corn syroup.
It is in the refrigerator, will it soften back?? I hope so!!!

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:53am
post #7 of 7

I usually just add cocoa and melted real chocolate to my regular BC, then add a little more butter and liquid b/c the cocoa firms it up a lot. You can also add ganache, which is really tasty!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%