What A Weird Day, With A Strange Photo Request!

Business By costumeczar Updated 14 Jun 2008 , 1:12am by southerncake

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:38am
post #1 of 4

This is definitely Friday the 13th, it's just been weird. My icing was doing some strange stuff, so there was that. I got some strange phone calls for last-minute cakes that I turned down, then the strangest one came...

It was a photographer who sounded a little panicked. He said that he was looking for a cake for a photo shoot, but that it had to be a specific design because it was an advertising thing and they wanted a specific cake. He also needed it in three days. I asked him who the shoot was for, because I was kind of confused by the weirdness of the whole thing (who the heck gets the photographer to arrange for a specific cake in a photo shoot?) So he says it was for WALMART, for God's sake!

I immediately said something like "oh, hell no, I'm not putting one of my cakes in an ad for Walmart." Poor guy was trying to tell me that it wasn't something that they do, and it was just for the layout, blah blah blah, but I said still, there's no way...I asked him what the cake looked like that they wanted, and he said it was four or five tiers, something pretty traditional with white piping. What the heck? I told him that Walmart should supply the cake if they want something specific.

I sent him to the low-end bakery in town, but I feel for the guy. The whole thing was kind of strange, though.

3 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:48am
post #2 of 4

wow that IS kind of strange...I wonder if they do that often? making themselves looking like something they are not!? LOL icon_wink.gif

you handled it very well! i would have been weirded out too!

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:55am
post #3 of 4

If you look at any cake brouchers from big store bakeries they all do it.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:12am
post #4 of 4

I have often looked at the brochures in Wal-Mart and thought "they never have a cake that looks like that!!!!" I guess now we know why!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%