Quilting Help

Decorating By psurrette Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 2:18am by psurrette

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 6

I have a 12 in square cake I need to make quilting lines. How do I do it?

5 replies
yayadesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yayadesigns Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 6

I bought one of those plastic pressing/texture sheets that has the lines already on it..I actually bought the quilted diamond block one in 3 different sizes. I work in BC so what I found was best with BC is I get it all smooth and let it crust and then cover the cake with a viva pt and then press the sheet over the papertowel and use my fondant smoother to help smooth and press. Prior to the plastic sheets, I tried to do it freehand and it wasn't as pretty!

This was the cake I did it on:
LL

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:22am
post #3 of 6

check out JenniferMI's photos... she makes diamonds on a lot of her cakes, and she always posts the how-to info when someone asks how under the photo comments (which is just about every cake that includes the quilting).

pood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pood Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:38am
post #4 of 6

HI,
I use the quilted design on many of my cakes. There are several in my photos. I frost with buttercream and let it crust. I smooth as much as possible with the fondant smoother. Then press the impression mat firmly aganist the frosting. If the frosting sticks to the mat, just let it crust a little longer or dust the mat with cornstarch or powdered sugar. It works like a dream. It is one of my favorite designs. Here is one with that design. Good luck!

Linda
LL

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:56am
post #5 of 6

I do lots of quilted cakes too, mostly fondant. I've posted most of them. I don't have a quilting mat, I use a metal ruler held on an angle. If you want any tips let me know.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:18am
post #6 of 6

thank you for your help. THe cake came out ok. its in my gallery

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%