Question For Bakery Owners/employees

Business By southaustingirl Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 11:01am by barbaranoel

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:18am
post #1 of 3

Whenever I go grocery shopping I also stroll by the bakery to see what they have and to check out their prices. In the cases, I see lots of 'speciality' cakes. Are all these cakes sold in one day? Are the cakes that don't sell placed in the frig and put out the next day? How long are cakes kept on the self?

If you work in a store bakery (like WalMart, Sam's ,Costco) how many cakes, on average, are sold each day (not cakes that are ordered)?

2 replies
littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:09am
post #2 of 3

when i worked at albersons we left the cakes in the case 4 days i think....of course it was refrigerated.

we predecorated lotsa cakes, and kept them in the walk in freezer...about 4 thousand dollars worth at a time...if it was full.

the amount of cakes varies greatly from store to store...and what day of the week it is.

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:01am
post #3 of 3

at Kroger all of our cakes get 6 days (cupcakes too!) usually on the 5th day we mark them down

they are all pretty good yet on that last day - even a couple of days yet, we have a policy, we don't mark down stuff that is expired, you still have a couple of days to eat it after that.

Barb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%