Ac Broken

Decorating By Chefperl Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 3:33am by Chefperl

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 8

HOTTTTTT!!!
Ok so i have a huge cake for tomorrow, and my AC died. It is so hot, i don't know what to do. So I baked my first batch of cakes and the recipe flopped,
I have made this cake hundreds of times before (never as big as this- 1/2 sheet pan) and it totally flopped. Should I try a different recipe or go to my moms and bake there in the nice cool air. Do you think the heat hurt the cake? Also will the heat make my fondant hard to work with?
please help.....

7 replies
pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 8

I'm not much help with the recipe or fondant, but I was with you a week ago. Our AC went out and I had an order to do. My cakes were fine in the humidity, but my b/c didn't even corn syrup to thin it! Thankfully the cute AC man came and fixed it! I hope yours gets fixed quick! (((((HUGS)))))

Paula

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 8

reduce the temp of your oven( i usually go to 325) and bake it a bit longer

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 8

Go to the nice cool air. Fondant does not like heat...at all. Humidity is your worst enemy. Save yourself....go to the air...go directly to the air. Do not sit in the hot house with the hot oven and the melting fondant....

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 8

I say definitely go to Mom's! icon_biggrin.gif With your AC broken, and your oven(s) running, it'll only get hotter in there. I did a cake once without AC and it was not only more difficult to do, but I was melting right along with my buttercream! icon_lol.gif Keep your sanity icon_razz.gif and work over at Mom's until your AC is fixed. Good luck!!!

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 8

go right to your moms! I had a wedding cake this last weekend all done up in buttercream waiting to be delivered the next day when the storms rolled in .. we lost power for hours .. NOT GOOD ... no ac .. no fridge .. no nothing! Go to your moms and enjoy the cool air of her house while you work and your cake bakes!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 8

Agree with the "go to mom's". My AC in my shop went out and it was almost 90 degrees in there .... BEFORE I turned on the ovens! Of course it's not a landlord issue, so $2200 in repairs coming my way! It's pretty much duct-taped together until the part comes in. icon_cry.gif It's miserable to work in that environment, and you're stressed enough when doing a cake.

Go to mom's and make her put together a big pitcher of iced tea for the two of you!

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:33am
post #8 of 8

so the hvac guy came tonight and "fixed" it for now. I decided to stay up all night and finish the cake just in case the thing dies again.
wish me luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%