3D Fondant Figures

Decorating By crl Updated 11 Jun 2008 , 5:51pm by BREN28

crl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crl Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 10

I definitiely have a new found respect for the artistry and talent of the people on this site. These are my feeble attempt to recreate the figures in the tutorials I got from Aine2 (Lorraine McKay). The problem I had this time is my fondant was so soft that I had a really hard time sculpting the figures and getting the parts to stay in place. I don't work fast enough yet, so I am afraid to add gumpaste for fearing of the fondant drying before I finish. Does anyone have any helpful hints?

[/img]
LL

9 replies
just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 10

These are beautiful! and really cute!

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 10

Rather than gum traganth, try CMC (Tylo powder). It won't harden as fast. Knead in about one quarter tsp. per 100 grams. You'll get more stiffness, but you will find it to be quite forgiving. I made a Gromit (from Wallace and Gromit) last night. About an hour after I had finished, I decided his arm was wrong...so I pulled it off, reshaped it and stuck it back on.

**Edited to add: Your models look great!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 10

I'm sorry, did you say "feeble"? I think they are great!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 10

I love your figurines! You did an awesome job on them. I'm too intimidated by them and have yet to try them. icon_wink.gif

You can put a cup over your fondant/gumpaste to keep it from drying it.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 10

I think they look great! I love the mommy/ girl figure. The babies face is great too! There is something bothering me about the leg/ diaper area..... icon_lol.gif i am not sure what it is..... But I love them!

Edited to add:

I figured it out.... It looks like he has two left legs...... But I am impressed by your work that I want to try the tutorials......You have pushed me over the line from considering them to going to get them now! icon_lol.gif

crl Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you for all the kind words! Sometimes maybe I think my skills should be honed more after doing this for more than a year.

marthajo1 - I could not, for the life of me, figure out how to get the legs to look right, so I finally just stuck them on. If/when you get the tutorial for this, let me know if you have an easier time getting the legs to look like Lorraine's picture.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 10

Never fails huh! I made a baby for the top of a cake last weekend and couldn't get feet to look good so I scraped feet and threw on a blanket! icon_redface.gif

(I hope my other comment didn't hurt you feelings or anything! I didn't mean it too!)

crl Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 5:36pm
post #9 of 10

You didn't hurt my feelings at all. I completely agree with you. I kept looking at the picture in the tutorial and then looking at my figure and thought hopefully the adage practice makes perfect is true in this case.

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 5:51pm
post #10 of 10

are you kidding? those are awesome,you did a great job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%