Has Anyone Used This Butter???

Decorating By jessfmaldonado Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 7:27pm by leah_s

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 17

I went to BJ's yesterday and I usually buy Land o Lakes unsalted. Well they only had salted there, so I saw the organic butter. It was 4.00 a #. No way, not gonna work right now. So I picked up the Wellsley Farms unsalted butter. It was 1.80 a #. Now the only thing is I am wary of trying this since I only use Land O Lakes. Does anyone know if this will affect my SMBC?? Or give a very different taste to NFSC?? I had to buy 8 pounds of butter so I wonder if I should suck up the price difference and go to the grocery store and buy land o lakes. Hmmm. Any advice about this?? I am baking today, so I really would like to know. Thanks so much!!

16 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 17

When I had my membership there it was the only brand I bought for all my cooking and baking, and I never had a problem with it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 17

I would not think it would make a big difference if any at all.

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 17

I used it while I was a member... it's just fine!

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 17

Same here I have never had a problem with it, and you can't beat the price.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 17

I use both BJ's and Sam's Club branded butters, both salted and unsalted, and have had no problems with any.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 17

If you're concerned about price - I just test baked two batches of chocolate chip cookies.

For one, I used real, (LOL) unsalted butter - and for the other, I used Blue Bonnet margarine. I liked the price of the Blue Bonnet (99 cents) and wanted to see how it worked.

Imagine my shock when not only did the cookies bake better (didn't spread as much, and didn't have that "greasy" or "undercooked" look you can sometimes get when using real butter), but my kids preferred the taste of them!

I really don't know what to do about this since I pride myself on using "the best" ingredients. LOL! Don't know whether I'll start baking with margarine now or not.

Just wanted to throw it out there for those who are concerned with costs and don't have a problem not using "real butter".

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 17

BrandisBaked-

You've just inspired me! Back in the day when we didn't have much money, but my Dad wanted me to bake for family members, I always used margarine, and my chocolate chip cookies were soooo good! I was wondering why my butter-based cookies never turn out like the same way as the ones I used to make, and now I know - margarine.

Thanks!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:19pm
post #9 of 17

Thank you so much ladies!!! You have calmed my nerves. So I will try this one out, and if this works, I will be saving lots of money on butter!! hehe. Thank you!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:35pm
post #10 of 17

That is the only brand of butter I use and I like it icon_smile.gif

kurn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kurn Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:42pm
post #11 of 17

I have used several different "off brands" and they all seem to work just fine. I think margarine would be a different story.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:48pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked

If you're concerned about price - I just test baked two batches of chocolate chip cookies.

For one, I used real, (LOL) unsalted butter - and for the other, I used Blue Bonnet margarine. I liked the price of the Blue Bonnet (99 cents) and wanted to see how it worked.

Imagine my shock when not only did the cookies bake better (didn't spread as much, and didn't have that "greasy" or "undercooked" look you can sometimes get when using real butter), but my kids preferred the taste of them!

I really don't know what to do about this since I pride myself on using "the best" ingredients. LOL! Don't know whether I'll start baking with margarine now or not.

Just wanted to throw it out there for those who are concerned with costs and don't have a problem not using "real butter".

Brandi -- I am so glad you posted this! I am a "butter snob" and also pride myself in using the best ingredients. There isn't a stick of margarine in my kitchen...however, my father-in-law HATES chocolate chip cookies made with butter and talks about how great margarine cookies are. If you liked it in the taste test, maybe I will give it a shot! Blue Bonnet here I come!!!!!

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:49pm
post #13 of 17

That is the butter I use and have never had any problems and the price is fantastic!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:31am
post #14 of 17

Holy cow! I just went to Wal-Mart and Blue Bonnet was 67 cents!

I may convert after all! LOL!

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 7:02pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked

Holy cow! I just went to Wal-Mart and Blue Bonnet was 67 cents!

I may convert after all! LOL!

NO FRIGGEN WAY? I saw it for a dollar, and was thinking..whaoh what a deal? Has anyone used this for NFSC? I am curious to see if it would make a difference in the way that it bakes...especially when it was said that it didnt spread that much....that would be sooo awesome to use with cookie cutters that have fine details!!!!

Anyone...any input?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 7:11pm
post #16 of 17

In my book,the best ingredients are the ones that give you the best results...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 7:27pm
post #17 of 17

I use the fat that will give me the results I want based on the properties of the fat itself. Sometimes that's margarine,sometimes that veg shortening and sometimes it's a combo.

I rarely use butter in anything!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%