Did I Quote To High?

Decorating By agagnier Updated 10 Jun 2008 , 9:54pm by indydebi

agagnier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agagnier Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 8

I had a lady call me and wanted a cake for thirty people then it turned into 2-11X15 cakes side-by-side which would be 22X15 right? She also wanted strawberry filling and a edible image on the cake. I told her $60 for the cake $5 for filling and $6 for the image. For a total of $71. Needless to say that was my first cake that got turned down because of price. icon_cry.gif Did I price to high?

Thanks

7 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 8

No way in heck did you charge too much icon_sad.gif !!!

My 12 x 18's usually go for 90.00. I sometimes drop to 75.00 due to simplicity

shalderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalderman Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 8

Nope! I just charged $55 for an 11x15 (my standard price) so $71 for two is not out of line!

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 8

Absolutely not!! You could have priced it so much higher!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 8

Nope, you didn't price too high, the prospective client's price expectations were too low.

Never, ever, undercharge yourself - and if you do, don't let us find out about it. We will have to remind you that you are not a chain store bakery. icon_lol.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 8

No you didn't quote to much that was more than reasonable.

Don't let customers determine your 'worth' as a decorator. You know how long it takes to make the cake, decorate etc and you know they will not find a one of a kind cake like the one you can make.

I'm so tired of those customers with champaign taste on a beer budget. icon_mad.gif

agagnier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agagnier Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 8:26pm
post #7 of 8

I'm glad you all feel the same way I do. No I don't feel like I was ripping her off.

Thanks again icon_razz.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 9:54pm
post #8 of 8

22x15, when cut into 2x2 pieces will yield approx 80 pcs (in round numbers ... 11 columns by 7 rows = 77, rounded up to 80 for simplicity). My price would have been $120 PLUS the image cost.

Some people can't afford you .... and that's ok. I consider it a status symbol! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%