Sheet Cake Sizes

Decorating By jenbakescakes Updated 9 Jun 2008 , 9:14am by SDL79

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 1:01am
post #1 of 9

Hi all! I have a client wanting a 1/2 sheet cake and a 1/8 sheet cake. I have searched the web but found conflicting info on the exact sizes. Soooo...I was wondering what the sizes you all use for "1/2" and "1/8" sheets? Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
prncsslmndrps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prncsslmndrps Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 1:19am
post #2 of 9

I use 11x15 for 1/2 sheet and 13x9 for 1/4. So for an 1/8 would be 1/2 of a 13x9?

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 1:24am
post #3 of 9

I do not do 1/8 inch cakes. I do use the 11x15 for the half sheet and 9x13 for the quarter sheet. Hope this is a help.

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 1:27am
post #4 of 9

A full sheet is 12 x 24 traditionally. It will serve around 70-80 people.

VICKY_V Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VICKY_V Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 1:41am
post #5 of 9

I use the 11x15 as a 1/2. And I have 7x11 so that might be 1/8.

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks to everyone that responded I went ahead and quoted her on a 11x15 (luckily I have that pan!) and since it is for a baby's first bday (and I don't have 7x11) I suggested she do a 6" round or square for a smash cake. Thanks again, you guys rock!!

chellebell70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellebell70 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:44am
post #7 of 9

I use a 12 x 18 as a half sheet. That is what I do most and we have a little 3 inch or so round pan for the babies smash cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:53am
post #8 of 9

I refuse to use the terms because most cake-civilians (along with some cake pro's) have no idea how many servings a full or a half sheet is. So I just ask them how many servings they are wanting and then I tell them what size cake they will need.

Case in point: A guy (who works in the food industry, I might add!) asked for my price for a "full sheet cake". I asked "To serve how many?" He said, (and I'm not making this up), "Ten".

TEN?????????????? icon_eek.gif

I laughed and said, "Good thing I asked or you would have had cake for 100!"

More than once, when someone asks "what's your price for a half sheet?" and I respond with "how big a cake is that?", they usually reply with "I've no idea......"

SDL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SDL79 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 9:14am
post #9 of 9

I have to agree with not quoting sizes. I found myself confused with sizes and have since gone to the tell me how many people and I'll quote you the appropriate sized cake. Usually as long as you know how many servings (and whether they want leftovers or would prefer to come out as close to even as possible!) then you can judge pretty closely.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%