A Couple Of Questions

Decorating By Franluvsfrosting Updated 10 Jun 2008 , 1:34am by Franluvsfrosting

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 12:27am
post #1 of 8

I will be doing a cake at the beginning of August and I have a few questions for you experts. icon_smile.gif

First, here is a link to the cake the bride gave me a picture of.

http://www.brides.com/weddingstyle/cakes/gallery/editorspick/detail/124765/?offset=7&page=1

This cake is covered in fondant but the bride has requested buttercream frosting with the fondant ribbon. She will be supplying fresh roses to put on at the site.

My first question is, how do you charge for something like this? I've quoted her $3/slice (which is the going rate for something like this (in buttercream) in my area, especially with the cost of things these days!) I just don't have a clue how to charge for the ribbons. I will be trying to match this cake as closely as I can, taking into account that it will be buttercream. The bows under the roses will be included in the design.

The other thing is, I am very, very new to working with fondant so I would appreciate helpful advice on actually making the ribbon. I've done some roses and little things like that but never a ribbon. I am taking the Wilton III class before I will need to do the cake and I'm sure that will be helpful but you just can't beat expert advice! icon_wink.gif

I am wondering what would be the best way to construct the ribbons; is it one piece of fondant kind of pleated/ruffled or is it a few layers worked together? What would be the best tools to use to create the edges of the ribbon? How do I attach it to the cake? To itself? Will there be a big seam where they connect? Would I put the seams where the flowers will go to try to camoflauge them or will that just draw attention? (I kind of suspect that's what they did since the ribbon angles down to that point. It seems like it would be easier to hide. icon_smile.gif )

The bride has no intention of eating the fondant so I bought some Wilton stuff to play with. Will this be the easiest thing for me to work with or should I try something else? I am going to be practicing with the stuff I already have but I will buy new before I make the actual wedding cake. I'm sure they don't want old, dirty fondant that I've rolled and re-rolled for a month on their cake! icon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Have I asked enough questions? I'm sure I will come up with more! icon_razz.gif Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I can't tell you how much I appreciate that this site is here for people like me! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
Franluvsfrosting Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 7:12am
post #2 of 8

Are all the guru's out of town? icon_smile.gif If you only know the answer to one of these questions I'd take it!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 7:44am
post #3 of 8

Beautiful cake, I'm not really familiar with prices but I can tell you that if you are going to ruffled the fondant to do the ribbon you are going to have to roll it very thin, the edges can be done with a pizza cutter because they are not to closed and if you are going to use BC on your cake it should glue itself to the cake but if it's already crusted try a little dot of fresh BC. and yes, hide the seams with the flowers, it's the easiest way to go. Now about the wilton fondant I highly recomend you no to use it even though the bride told you she is not planning on eating the fondant there is ALWAYS someone at the party who will try to do it! and your reputation as a baker is on the line, my advise to you is ALWAYS USE HIGH QUALITY INGREDIENTS!
I hope this can be of some help and good luck! icon_smile.gif

Franluvsfrosting Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the tips!

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 8

For the fondant ribbon, you can either roll it very thin and pleat it or do a few layers of very thin fontant. Use a ball tool to ruffle/flair the edges of the fondant to give it that texture. Just roll your ball tool along the edges of the ribbon and it will flair. You will need to work quickly and cautiously because the buttercream will not be forgiving like fondant will when you try to attach the ribbon. I would highly recommend Satin Ice fondant, it's softer and much easier to work with. The best price is at www.intotheoven.com

Good luck and please post pics so we can all see!!

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 4:06am
post #6 of 8

The cake in the picture says that it is made with white chocolate. You might try researching chocolate ribbons. It might be easier than fondant. As for fondant... If you want something to practice with, I suggest MMF (marshmallow fondant). It's super easy to make and tastes pretty yummy too. Good luck. That's a lot to take on for a first time wedding cake. Please try again tomorrow. CC seems to be having issues and I sure a lot of people can't get on to answer. There are a lot of GREAT people on here that will help!

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:37am
post #7 of 8

Looks to me like the ribbon is done in 3 layers, each one a little wider than the next, then layered on. They have definitely been rolled very thinly and ruffled. Nice effect. Yup, I think the flowers cover the ends. And I too think you should buy nice fondant - someone will try to eat it for sure - don't let it be Wilton.

Franluvsfrosting Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:34am
post #8 of 8

Okay, I have the "Wedding Cakes You Can Make" book by Dede Wilson and she has directions in there for "Chocolate Plastic" When one of you suggested that I remembered seeing it in her book. I also looked it up online and found directions for making/using it so I will give that a shot and see if I can get it to work for me. As far as I have been able to tell, the quality of the chocolate plastic depends on the quality of the chocolate you use. I think for the sake of frugality I will play with the Wilton (or something comparable) white chocolate melts. This was suggested in Dede's book so I think I'll run with it.

I wish I had a pasta roller because one site says that's what she uses to make her ribbons super thin! Guess I'll just have to do it the old fashioned way.

Thanks for all of the help! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%