Too Much Cake ....vent!

Decorating By Marysmom Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 3:52pm by missmeg

Marysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marysmom Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 6

So, last night was my dd's end of year preschool picnic/potluck. At the meeting to plan this event the staff said that they would provide hot dogs, buns, toppings, drinks, and table service. Everyone else was to bring a dish to pass. Same as last year's picnic.

So, I made a half sheet cake that had our school logo with children on it. I've thought and planned to make this cake for over a month. And not that it was that hard. I only make cakes for friends and family and not that often. So for me, it was an effort.

Well, I get to the picnic and the staff purchased a huge sheet cake from the grocery store. Nothing special, just flower decorations. icon_sad.gif

I just feel so bad. I just wouldn't have bothered going to all the trouble. I expected other parents to probably bring cupcakes and other desserts (which they did). I just feel that if the staff were planning on providing an entire sheet cake, they should have said so. I think it would have changed what people thought to bring.

Many people commented on my cake, so that was nice. Thanks for listening. Whine over!

Gen

5 replies
WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 6

Does seem silly that they didn't mention that in what they were providing -- maybe it was a last minute decision when they found they still had some $ available.

I'm sure your cake was great!

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 6

Oh no! Non-cake people just don't think about stuff like that. Me, my first response to any gathering is, "Who's doing the cake?" LOL

I'm sure your cake was 10 times better!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 6

I hate pot-lucks were the food is not coordinated. Someone should have a list of who is bringing what otherwise you end up with 6 salads and 5 bags of chips.

Did you let them know you were bringing a cake? If so then they suck for getting another one.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 6

thats always my first question too AJsGirl

just sounds like everything was completely disorganized.
Don't feel too bad.
Did you get to bring your cake home??

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 6

I had that happen at chuch a few times when I was just starting. Now they know better icon_wink.gif. If I show up to a church-related event with cake and there is another cake there, my cake ALWAYS gets eaten first icon_biggrin.gif.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%