I Need Everyones Help With A Traveling Cake

Decorating By Peeg Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 12:38am by Peeg

Peeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeg Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 3

Can someone Please give me some suggestion on a cake that will with stand a 10 hr. road trip, in the heat. Also would your use buttercream or fondant? This is an anniversary cake. What shape would you use? You sure can tell I never traveled with the merchandise before. Thanks to everyone.

2 replies
LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 3

Make sure you use a REALLY good base board and try to keep the cake out of direct light. Fondant will hold up better in the heat, but butter cream can survive, too. When I last travelled with a cake, I kept the air conditioning on freezy cold and we didn't make any stops longer than it would take to gas up and go. Remind your driver that he (or she) isn't Mario Andretti. Buy the shelf liner (not the slick kind, but the bumpy woven type that comes in green and white) to keep the cake from sliding as much. If it's a multi layered cake, I wouldn't assemble it until I got there. Take extra buttercream, fondant, or whatever you're using so that you can patch any bumps that occur along the way.

You'll be fine. Go. Have fun. Ten hours from Maryland? It sounds like you're headed this way!

Peeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeg Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 12:38am
post #3 of 3

Thanks LanaC, we are headed for Myrtle Beach S.C. our future home.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%