Wedding Cake W/out Filling?????

Decorating By bakindessertz2 Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 12:58pm by indydebi

bakindessertz2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakindessertz2 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 6

I have a customer who wants a wedding cake layer without a filling? How do I do that if the other tiers have fillings? I won't be able to match the heights.... Any suggestions?

5 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 6

OK, no filling at all, not even the same icing that the cake will be iced in? I would tell that you need to use something, at least icing, to hold the layers of cake together.

cakerygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerygirl Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 6

What type of filling are you using in the other cakes? I had a bride ask for that and after much disscussion it turned out what she really wanted was just buttercream as a filling. Maybe mention t her that it will be shorter if it has nothing to attach the layers together.

Pama2d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pama2d Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 6

I have suggested using just buttercream, but haven't heard back from her as of yet. She seems pretty adamant about it. She wants a vanilla layer with banana's, a banana layer with strawberry, and the chocolate layer without filling. I mentioned the height difference and the fact that there won't be anything to hold the layers together, so I guess I'll just wait to hear back from her. I just wanted to see what suggestions my fellow CC'ers would have. Thanks for the quick responses!!

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 6

Maybe make the layers that will be filled first, then fill them, and measure the hieght, then bake deeper cakes for the unfilled layer and cut them to match the height. I think that putting dowels into the unfilled layers, like you would for support anyhow, would hold it together.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 12:58pm
post #6 of 6

I can't put my hands on it right now, but I have seen cakes that had one tier that was a single layer, so it can be done.

But I've had a bride who wanted nothing between the layers and I've just told her I really need to have something between to hold the 2 layers together. We compromised on a really thin layer of filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%