Thumb & Elbow Surgery...

Decorating By cakedout Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 7:34pm by cakebaker1957

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 3

So I just came from the doctor's office, and it looks like I have 6 weeks to decide what I want to do about my left elbow (tendonitis) and right thumb (tendonitis/arthritis w/ bone spur): Do I want cortisone again? Surgery on one or both? Or just live with it a bit longer?

I just came thru 4 weeks of therapy, a round of steroids and a thumb brace. I've had surgery on my right elbow 2 years ago. It definately helped, but I have pain again, although not as bad. I just have to be careful how much lifting or pulling I do.

I've wanted my thumb done for years...but that is when I thought it was just tendonitis and an easy surgery. Now it involves removing the bone spur, inserting pins and a long time in a cast and therapy...with a 90% recovery rate.

The worst part is, that either surgery will require me to quit my job (these issues made me quit the cake business 3 years ago), and I'm not sure I can deal with that right now.

Sorry for the pity party....I'm just a bit depressed and frustrated right now and need some encouragement. If anyone knows of anyone who had such a thumb surgery, I would like to know how it turned out and how much normal use they have.

thanks for "listening"

2 replies
Batter-UpBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Batter-UpBakery Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 3

Sorry I can't help you, but good luck with whatever you decide to do!

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 3

i can relate to that i am wearing a wrist brace and go next week to start therapy on my wrist my Dr think i have carpal tunnel, dont know what good thearpy will do but im willing to try will post pone sugery as long as i can, my fingers get numb and tingley,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%