Wilton's 37 Piece Alphabet & Number Cut-Outs

Decorating By zubia Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 12:10am by tracey1970

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:23am
post #1 of 16

Hi all. Has any one used Wilton's 37 Piece Alphabet & Number Cut-Outs.How are they ??? and if you have a cake pic can you please show that too.
should I order good ones on line ?
Thank you

15 replies
zubia Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:40am
post #2 of 16

Any one.I need alphabet cutters and I have 50% off Micheals coupon ,so should I buy this or order fmm ones on line????
Please help

LaurynBrook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurynBrook Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:46am
post #3 of 16

I'm not sure if it is the same set, but I bought Wilton letter cut outs for my fondant and I HATE them. The fondant doesn't pull away from them well so they end up stretched with ragged edges. Maybe it's just me though. Maybe I'm just rough with them.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:49am
post #4 of 16

I have them, used them once, maybe twice and will probably never use them again. I should have just splurged on better ones from Jem. I don't believe I have the picture of the cake, unfortunately. HTH!

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:59am
post #5 of 16

Hi. I had the same experience as LaurynBrook. icon_sad.gif Not sure if I was doing something wrong, even though I was working carefully. Let's see what other's have to say... Good luck with your decision!

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:07am
post #6 of 16

Yeah, I have those cutters....they are a huge waste of money! I'm glad I got them at half price, but that was still too much! I love the funky alpha tappits by FMM! You can get them at globalsugarart.com. thumbs_up.gif They have JEM cutters too.

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:08am
post #7 of 16

I have them and I love them! I use them quite often and have not had a problem with them at all. roll your fondant or gumpaste fairly thick and you shouldn't have a problem. You can visit my website to see them in use on the cakes. The most recent was the graduation cake in my gallery.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:09am
post #8 of 16

Now I remember why I won't use them again, it's for the same reasons above, and I also wasn't impressed with how they looked when they did come out right.

I wouldn't get them with a 100% off coupon. Waste of drawer space.

zubia Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:09am
post #9 of 16

Thank you every one.I guess this is the only wilton thing I donot have . Iam going to pass on it.Already have too many useless things.Iam going to order Classic Alphabet by Patchwork Cutters ,they look really good.
Thanks

zubia Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:15am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlreetz

I have them and I love them! I use them quite often and have not had a problem with them at all. roll your fondant or gumpaste fairly thick and you shouldn't have a problem. You can visit my website to see them in use on the cakes. The most recent was the graduation cake in my gallery.

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Now aim going to end up buying both

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:21am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlreetz

Do you do anything else when using the cutters? I tried rolling mine thick and they still stuck! I let my gumpaste sit out for a little bit, so it wasn't sticky, and they still stuck! When I do get the gumpaste out of the cutter it's all misshapen. If you have a trick, please share! icon_smile.gif

cakecastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecastle Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:08pm
post #12 of 16

Glad to see this thread. I have been debating whether or not to buy the Wilton ones or order the FMM ones online. I really love the look of the Funky Alpha Letters.

psanders76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psanders76 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:00pm
post #13 of 16

I just tried using mine for the first time last night and I had a terrible time with them. They went straight into my trash can.

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:46pm
post #14 of 16

I don't do anything special with them. I roll my gumpaste or fondant out fairly thick, I use Crisco when I roll it out, maybe that is why I don't have a problem with them sticking. I honestly can't tell you my "secret" because I don't have one. I just haven't had a problem with them.

zubia Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 11:01pm
post #15 of 16

ok ,I am going to check my cake supply store for Fmm and jem cutters ,if they do not have them I'll get wilton ones on way home and try them out before buying on line.I'll post how they worked for me tomorrow .

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:10am
post #16 of 16

I have used these too and had no problems. I roll out the fondant not overly thick, but I also roll mine out on Crisco. Plus, I also rub the cutters with a THIN bit of Crisco (no clumps of shortening visible) on the areas I can actually get at with my fingertips. I've not had a sticking problem.

I did the Glasgow Rangers cake writing in my photos with them. It's not the greatest pic to see the writing, but we can only upload one pic.

I too am not overly impressed at the look of the letters (but I suppose more elaborate letter cutters would be even harder to get the fondant out??), but I've not had a problem with the Wilton ones.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%