How Do I Do This?

Decorating By blue123 Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 3:04pm by mommy2djb

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:10am
post #1 of 10

I have been asked to give an estimate of either one of these two cakes.
First, how do I make this? Second, how much should I charge? I live in South Texas and here a basic wedding cake starts at $2.00 a slice. Thanks for all of your help.

Lisa
LL
LL

9 replies
blue123 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:42am
post #2 of 10

Pleeeeeease............any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

MegWinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MegWinn Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:55am
post #3 of 10

You might want to give a little more info...what sizes are the cakes? What technique(s) are you struggling with? etc. Wilton.com and www.earlenescakes.com have charts that will help you with how many servings are in different sized cakes. From there you can discern what to charge per serving. Hope this helps to get you the information you need!

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:56am
post #4 of 10

Pre cut all your triangles out of fondant using either a pizza cutter or a wavy cutter. Ice your cakes and slap on those triangles and then pipe the details either in royal or buttercream.

I wouldn't charge less than $4 per slice either, you'll have some time in making this cake and you need to be paid for it, otherwise it's an excercise in cake decorating for you.

ambernd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambernd Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:00am
post #5 of 10

Are you asking how you should go about making the cake? If so the top one looks like its iced in white buttercream and then has chocolate fondant triangles on it and the second one looks just like the opposite. As far as pricing goes I would not charge less than $2 a serving and probably no more than $3 of course I am always really bad at undercharging!

blue123 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:49pm
post #6 of 10

Thank you so much for responding. I am thinking that the top cake is a 8 and 10 in. square, the bottom seem to be 6, 10, and 14 in. squares. I do think that the top is buttercream and fondant, but, the bottom one seems to be pre-made sheets of chocolate. Please correct me if I am wrong. So, if it is chocolate, how do I go about making them? Given all of those facts, does $4.00 per slice still seem fair or is it too little? Thanks again, Lisa icon_biggrin.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:06pm
post #7 of 10

The bottom cake I would charge no less then 4.00 a serving PLUS the charge for the strawberries.. those are tedious icon_sad.gif

They are hex shaped so you would do a panel (for the bottom one) large white triangle turned upside down and two chocolate triangles for the lapel...bow tie and buttons on last... I don't think it is one piece at all..

Did you try to pm the maker of this beautiful cake to see how he/she did it? icon_smile.gif

People are so nice and he/she would probably love to tell you exactly how it was done

MegWinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MegWinn Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:42pm
post #8 of 10

If the smaller accents are not in fondant then I would guess that they are made of chocolate piped onto waxed paper, cut out with a scalpel-like knife and then affixed to the buttercream. I agree that the bottom cake is a hexagon shape (you can purchase pans this shape) and not square. If I were you I would NOT worry about how exactly the original maker made these cakes and use your own preferred materials and techniques to recreate it. To be honest it does not look too difficult ( I saw your other cakes and they look much more detail oriented...great job by the way!). I would ice the cake(s) in buttercream and use chocolate fondant for the accents. It is amazing how some good stiff cardboard and an exacto knife can make almost any template. Good luck.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 10

I would also say that the top cake isn't a 8" and 10" but more likely a 6" and 10"

mommy2djb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2djb Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:04pm
post #10 of 10

They don't look like real difficult cakes, but incredibly time-consuming. I would have no idea what to charge for it. Sorry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%