Need Suggestion!!

Decorating By Valli_War Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 2:41pm by Valli_War

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all,
Could you give me your ideas to a newbie? I am planning to make a cake for my kid's school teachers and staff this week. I will use the following cake as a main guideline.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=595983

It is out of my interest that I am doing this. So, I want to include my kid's name somewhere on the cake. (They keep the cake in the office so no one would know who gave this unless I put the name on it)

I am going to modify this with the 6 teachers' name who were associated with my kid and since the class is called Bee-hive, I made a topper out of MMF and gum paste mix. I want to write Bye bye and put the cake topper next to it. You can check the cake topper in my photos. (Might take some time to upload)

Now, where do I write my kid's name and how do I blend that with this design?

TIA,

10 replies
Valli_War Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 9:55am
post #2 of 11

Please help me here.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 10:32am
post #3 of 11

How about something like.....
Brian ( or what ever your child's name is ), is "BUZZING" in to say THANK YOU to Miss Johnson, Mrs.Jones, etc., etc. for helping me have a great 1st year in school.....
That is alot of writing, but maybe you can narrow it down a bit.....

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 11:01am
post #4 of 11

Perhaps do it as a poem to the teachers. Write it out as the PP said and then include the topper next to the "paper"

MadPhoeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadPhoeMom Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 11:03am
post #5 of 11

what if....
you used a really large sheet cake....and wrote it like a letter...
dear miss a, miss b, mrs. c, ms. d, miss e, and mrs. f.....
THANKS (big in the middle), love, brian....
didn't have time to look at the topper, but thinking this would flow regardless.
?

love the idea,
sally

Valli_War Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 11:49am
post #6 of 11

You all rock. I put all the ideas together to come up with this. Let me know what you all think.

Child Name from [Topper]
buzzes
THANK YOU
to
teacher 1, teacher 2
teacher 3, teacher 4
teacher 5, teacher 6

and

SCHOOL NAME

I will try to put them in the center of the sheet instead of left side, couldn't do that here. Also, I might not use that notebook format for this at all. How would all this writing look on 11 X 14 sheet cake with reverse shell border or just plain shell border?

Thank you all,

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:00pm
post #7 of 11

I think it would look neat if you could write it and at the end of a section do a little bee buzzing away from it preceeded by dashes. Make sense?

Valli_War Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:34pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsonblackvelvet13

I think it would look neat if you could write it and at the end of a section do a little bee buzzing away from it preceeded by dashes. Make sense?

I got it, but could you direct me to a picture of something which has stuff like that in butter cream? My cake topper is mmf with gum paste. I could make a bee easily with that, but have no clue how to make buttercream bee.

Thanks,
Champa.

Valli_War Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:30am
post #9 of 11

Thanks to all the ladies who helped me with ideas. Here is the picture of the final product. Did not come out like what I wanted, but had hard time with smoothing. All bees are Fondant with gum paste. Hive is same wrapped around an ice cream cup.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1229351&done=1

Thanks,

lukiesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lukiesmommy Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:11pm
post #10 of 11

Well I think you did a wonderful job! It's very cute!! I've never used the cream cheese Icing you mentioned. Does it crust? If it does you can smooth crusting icing with Viva paper towel. Let it crust then lay the paper towel on dry to the cake and run your hand over it. Smoothes icing out perfectly.

M

Valli_War Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:41pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks. It does crust, and I did smooth it with viva paper towel, but it crusts only on the top layer so it sort of became wrinkly. It was perfect in the beginning, I wanted to smooth more, then this happened.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%