Coloring Fondant?

Decorating By mommy2djb Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 11:06am by ahuvas

mommy2djb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2djb Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 6

What is the best product to use to color fondant? I need a really vibrant RED! icon_eek.gif

Thanks!!

5 replies
ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 6

AMericolor seems better than Wilton. You can try Tulip Red or super red which is very vibrant

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:54am
post #3 of 6

Here are two recent threads on getting your MMF red!

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-589501.html
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5925155-.html

Don't forget to keep your fondant away from any light while storing and up until you plan to display the cake, as red (and colors with red e.g. pink, purple, orange) has a nasty tendency to fade. Also on the flip side of that, at least with BC it takes 24 hours for the red color to fully develop so the not-quite-red you get today could be brilliant red by tomorrow. (Is this true for fondant too?)

oilili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oilili Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 10:30am
post #4 of 6

Yeah, i have also heard that you need to let the red set for a day or so before adding more red to it.

I find painting fondant in red or black a real pain!!

I never used Americolor althougha lot od people here seem to really like it. In any case, i can only find Wilton's gel paste round here.

MadPhoeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadPhoeMom Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 10:58am
post #5 of 6

americolor will be worth the time, effort, shipping, etc. it takes to get it....
it's neater/cleaner, you use less, and it simply works better....even if you don't completely convert, at least start with red/black-the two colors that are the hardest to color....

sally

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 11:06am
post #6 of 6

You can also start with orange - this helps.

I have never really had much trouble making red fondant but I use Americolor super red and let it sit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%