Pricing Cakes For A Small Number Of People

Business By clopin0 Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 7:11am by MikeRowesHunny

clopin0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clopin0 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:34am
post #1 of 3

I am apologizing in advance for another pricing question. I can price rounds and sheets without a problem, but I have trouble with the more custom cakes. A lady has requested a flip-flops cake (actually 2 cakes) for her twin daughters. She only needs to serve about 20 people. I hate making cakes for such a small number of people! The ingredients would not cost much more if it had been for 40 people, but the decorating time is still approximately the same. I live in Southeast Louisiana and the going rate for buttercream cakes are usually $1.25 to $1.50 a serving (for a basic sheet cake). Since this cake will be carved and double layered, I know that I need to charge more. So here are my questions:

1. How much etxra do you charge for carving a cake and for double layers?
2. If you use a per serving charge, do you factor in the price of your cake board and box into the per serving price or is it added on as a fee?
3. I figured that I would charge $45 for the cakes (my ingredient cost is about $10). How does that price sound? That equates to $2.25 per serving (a little high for this area), but my time is worth something!

THANKS!!!

2 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:04am
post #2 of 3

If you hate making cakes for a small number then don't do it. Or charge triple.

It takes just as long to make and decorate a 4-6-8 than a 6-8-10. At the steps are there and they are all the same. There aren't fewer steps just because the cake is smaller.

I won't do a cake smaller that an 8" round. Carved cakes? At least 50 servings, otherwise it's just not profitable for me.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:11am
post #3 of 3

The way I get around small serving cakes is to have a minimum charge, regardless of size. Quite frankly, it takes me just as long to mix, bake and decorate a 6in as it does a 10in - the only difference is that the ingredients cost more for a 10in! I count the board and other sundries in my ingredients price, yes, they cost money! Anyway, my 2cts is that you apply either a minimum charge for your cakes, or a minimum serving amount (I think this is less practical), otherwise you are working for nothing! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%