I Am So Confused @ Getting An Exact 4" High Cake/3"

Decorating By CakeDiva73 Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 1:21pm by Petit-four

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:34am
post #1 of 3

I have just ordered the SPS systems and saw a post about making the cakes exactly 4" high as not to cut dowels. I have mostly 2" cake pans....if I make 2 cakes and they are 2" each, the height of filling and icing would raise the cake height to over the 4".

I also have a 3" cake set - how will that work? If I fill pans high and come out with a 3" high cake, and then tort 3 times, will the combined 3" of cake, 2 layers of filling and frosting (on average) reach the 4" height?

With the 3" pans, are we supposed to fill high and use a cone, use parchment.......bake twice? thanks icon_smile.gif

2 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:53pm
post #2 of 3

More then once I have had to cut the systems hollow dowells.. but it is still better and safer then using the wooden dowells... that is why I ordered the 9 inch ones also (8 or 9 inch.. cant remember icon_sad.gif )

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 3

Hi CakeDiva! icon_smile.gif I don't have the SPS system, but I do try to make all of my tiered cakes the same height.

I'd guess I'd suggest making a small cake, torting it, and then putting in your filling, and as you go along, measure it. If you see you are running too high, torte the cakes thinner with your leveler (the cakes may be slightly crowned, anyways). I do find on tiered cakes I have often cut more off a cake. If you do a practice run, you will then get a sense of your "height" tendency.

I find with thinner fillings, like raspberry, I don't have to take away much cake. With thicker fillings, like ones with nuts, the cake is cut thinner, since you have to keep everything under 4".

Also, you can correct that last 1/4" with thinner or thicker top icing.

Hope this helps...I guess the short answer is to keep a ruler handy, and remember you can adjust with filling, icing, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%