Luster/pearl Dust Edible?

Decorating By Lisa93063 Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 4:03am by TexasSugar

Lisa93063 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa93063 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:51am
post #1 of 5

I want to make a guitar cake. The color is red wine, so I thought I could cover the cake in red fondant and then "paint" a deeper red over it with luster dust mixed with vodka. But, as I was searching websites looking for the color I wanted, I came across a disclaimer that said luster/pearl dusts are non-toxic but not edible. Any info would be appreciated.

4 replies
Lisa93063 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:53am
post #2 of 5

Sorry, part of my question was cut off. The disclaimer said Luster/Pearl Dusts were non-toxic but not edible. Any info would be appreciated.

Lisa93063 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:56am
post #3 of 5

I'm fairly new to this. I don't know why my question was cut off twice.
Are they edible?

nonie2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonie2007 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:46am
post #4 of 5

Yes, they are.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:03am
post #5 of 5

Luster and pearl d u s t are usually non toxic which is not the same thing as edible. It means they shouldn't hurt you if consumed (think Elmer's Glue) but they don't really suggest you eat it.

Do people eat cakes with luster / pearl / petal dust on them all the time? Yep, and I've never heard of a case where someone has gotten sick off it. I've used them on many cakes myself.

Also Wilton's brand of Pearl d u s t s are FDA approved (which makes them edible), but they do have a limited selection of colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%