Help!! Local Bakery Offered Me A Job!

Business By dandy207 Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 8:06pm by littlecake

dandy207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandy207 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 12

I am going in there on tues. , and Im sure they will want to see me decorate a cake , what will they be looking for? Ive only worked at dairyqueen doing ice cream cakes icon_eek.gif . I really want this! It is the only higher end bakery in town. Shop owners please help!!

Thanks so much!

11 replies
littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 12

You're gonna do great!...They'll be happy to get you...your cakes are really cute...LOVIN' the elmo eatin sketti!

They'll have you decorate...but that shouldn't be any problem for you.

I always liked going to work at different places...you always learn something new.

Decorators are so hard to find...Keep us posted!

dandy207 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 12

littlecakes- Thanks you so much, you always answer my posts with such great suggestions. Maybe all I needed was a vote of confidence! Im just a tad bid nervous to say the least! =)

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 12

Your cakes are really well done! I'd take my portfolio and while decorating I'd just stick to what you know works for you....like your doing it at home. With they way your cakes turn out I'm sure you have great technique!!! The bakery will be happy to have you...if not...then it's there loss! thumbs_up.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 12

As an employer, I look hard at hygiene. Clean hands and short, clean, clipped nails (not bitten). Is she touching her face and/or hair? Big no-no. Hair clean and pulled back, not hanging down and in her face. No make-up or very discreet make-up. No perfume, but a clean smell. I would never, ever, not ever, hire a smoker. They stink. If they ask you to decorate make sure you wash your hands (and use disinfectant if they have it). Wear clean, servicable clothes. Bring a change of shoes... I won't let anyone in my kitchen wearing outdoor shoes.... that's just gross.

Bring a portfolio of your most creative cakes, and maybe a couple of your traditional ones as well. When I hired my gal she couldn't even pipe a border, but I liked her work... it showed that she had imagination and creativity. She can now pipe right along with the best of them!!

I can't think of anything else right now, but if I do I'll be sure to post it!

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 7:17pm
post #6 of 12

Have they seen a portfolio of your work? I would print out a nice portfolio of all your cakes, and just say, oh by the way, here are some of the things i have done. And something to the effect, I am always constantly doing research on new techniques etc.....

Metabea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Metabea Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 12

This happened to me about a month ago. They called me out of the blue actually had to call my neighbor because I had changed phone #'s. Well they wanted me to come in and ice a cake. (it was just icing cakes no decorations at all, which I'm far better at.) So since I have gotten pretty good at icing them I thought it'd be a breeze. Well I get in there and the table is to tall for me when I went to fill the icing bag I had to stand on my tip toes and ended up flinging some onto the floor. My face was red my mind was wondering do I offer to clean this up before I ice the cake or what? Well she said not to worry. I cut the cake then proceeded to put the layers together. Once they were all stacked I thought "this is in the bag" well I've only used crusting icing. They don't so they have to get it to ice flat from pure talent not just using tools to flatten it down. icon_sad.gif I was bummed the more I tried the more my hand shaked, the more nervous I got, till she put me out of my misery and told me to practice with regular icing and come back at a later time. She seemed to love the pictures of my cakes even enquired on how I did my snowman cake. So now I'm trying to find some good recipes that aren't crusting so I can practice on my own and then get back with her. So my advice to anyone wanting to get a job at a real bakery... get familiar with both kinds of icings.

Good luck to you.

Hugs
Meta

dandy207 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 10:19pm
post #8 of 12

WONDERFUL advice, thank you everyone! I did send her pictures of my cakes through email.
About 3 months ago I emailed this bakery and just asked them a bunch of questions, I wanted to know what they look for when they hire, since I dont have much experience profesionally, I wondered if I should start looking at grocery store chains or if they just hired off of 'raw' talent. I pretty much just wanted to know how I could get my 'foot in the door' with cake decorating. Well they never replyed until now. She asked me to come in sometime this week so she could meet me if I was interested.
So this is where all this stemed from. Just so you know =)

Anyways, thank you all!! I will keep you updated

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:48pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metabea

So now I'm trying to find some good recipes that aren't crusting so I can practice on my own and then get back with her. So my advice to anyone wanting to get a job at a real bakery... get familiar with both kinds of icings.

Best non-crusting BC for me is "Dixie's Icing". I buy it from her in town, but she sells on the internet as well. She even has a video she put together to explain everything you need to know about her icing and how to use it. I love how it tastes and decorates. She goes out of busines...I get out of cake decorating!

littlecake Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:52am
post #10 of 12

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL??????

DISH THE DIRT!

what happened?

dandy207 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 4:50pm
post #11 of 12

Ok, well I went in yesterday but the lady had just left to the store to pick up somethings, so I said id come back the next day.
Well it did, And I GOT IT!!! WOOHOOO!
They didnt even have me make a cake, I think she was really busy or something. But we talked for awhile, she said after she showed her husband my website he told her I had the job as long as I was 'nice' LOL. So I start saterday. I am waaaay excited. =D

littlecake Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 8:06pm
post #12 of 12

I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YIPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%