Opinions- Topsy Turvy Wedding Cake

Decorating By Bonnie151 Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 2:32pm by poshcakedesigns

Bonnie151 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnie151 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 24

OK - I need to have a little rant first. I made an OTT topsy turvy cake. I like it, my husband HATES it, to the point of repeatedly asking me why I was continuing to work on this disaster. Plus, not only does he hate it, he says he doesn't see any market for it. Aaaarrrggghhhh. I'm fed up of him not liking my cakes and wish he would just keep his mouth shut full stop.

So- honest opinions here, please. I'm not looking for any ego stroking a la, "oh yes, I like the cake - while secretly in the background thinking, what was she doing?". Do you like the cake, not like the cake full stop or not like it but think someone else would (i.e. not to your taste).

I'm not even necessarily saying I think there is a market for it. I just wanted to make a bit of an OTT looking as though it is about to topple over cake which people would look at and think "yes, she can decorate cakes." I'd like to know if I'm way of the mark here.

Thanks icon_smile.gif
LL

23 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 24

Ok, I will probably get my head bitten off again, but you asked for honesty.

Your techniques are great - the bows are beautifully done, and your edges on your stripes are well cut - no ragged edges.

But the cake looks like only the bottom tier is tilted.

The topper should be pointing in the opposite direction - toward the tall end of the bottom tier, or it should be level to the table.

And just so you know, I absolutely hate the look of those cakes in general, but that design just does not die off quitely. In fact, I think it's popularity has grown exponentially over the past year.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:13am
post #3 of 24

I like the topsy turvy or crooked cake look. I like anything out of the ordinary. However, there is a fine line between the topsy turvy look and a cake that looks like it was poorly constructed.

I do love the over design and concept you are going for. I would just be concerned that someone who doesn't know what you are trying to acheive might think that it is a poorly constructed falling cake. I would hope people would realize that a professional wouldn't display a picture of a cake that they truly messed up. But some people just don't know any better.

Maybe if you went a little taller with it so it was a little more of an exagerated tilt or falling effect??? I think it's a good idea and you should keep going with it until you perfect it.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:32am
post #4 of 24

i agree with theresa. icon_smile.gif i have to say i love your bows! they look so real.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:03am
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelykaye

However, there is a fine line between the topsy turvy look and a cake that looks like it was poorly constructed.

Isn't that the point of TT cakes in general? icon_smile.gif

I like the cake. The work is very clean and its done very elegantly. The angle is pretty extreme, but that's the fun of this style.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:16am
post #6 of 24

I am not a fan of TT cakes, personally, but they are very popular, very unique and I think your husband is wrong when he says there is no market for them.

You have the most realistic bows I have ever seen on here. The pearls shine like real gems.

It first struck me that the top tier was leaning in the wrong direction as most TT cakes I've seen tend to be a lean-left-lean-right-lean-left type of design.

THen I read Kory's comment about the angle being extreme and that's the fun of this design ..... and I took a 2nd look at the cake.

What we luv about doing cakes is stepping outside the box and being different. As I took that second look, what I saw was an outside-the-box cake. Now, I've never been brave enough to try one of these cakes, so my thoughts and opinions have zero merit, here, but a cake leaning so far to one side like yours has GOT to illustrate a talented cake creator who can intentionally make a cake lean that far to one side and not topple!

To piggyback on Kory's comments .... Extreme and fun .... that's what you did with this cake! Great job!!

Bonnie151 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:46am
post #7 of 24

Thanks so much for the comments - that's exactly what I was looking for, no biting off heads here! I'm trying to set up as a business and so honest feedback is exactly what I'm after. Fishing for compliments would only hurt me!

I have a two tier topsy turvy cake due at the end of the week and for that I will be doing the traditional lean-left-lean-right (don't want to scare her off!) and am keeping it quite neat and not OTT. For this I was having a play about to see whether a really looking like it was falling over cake would work. I'm trying to have a mix of traditional designs and more original designs on my website to make me stand out a bit and it's hard knowing when you've gone too far and something just doesn't work! Indydebi summed up what I was trying to do, but I think the poll results show that I'm not quite there so I'll have a think about the cake.

Thanks for all of the comments about my bows. icon_smile.gif I have to admit I LOVE doing bows. I'd happily sit making gumpaste bows all day long! icon_biggrin.gif

ETA: OK, having thought about it over breakfast, this is what I'm going to do:

I am going to put it on my website. My wedding cakes have a thumbnail on the main wedding cakes page which you click on to get a whole page about the particular cake. in this cake's description I'll play it up along the lines of "not your usual TT cake - will it topple, will it stay standing?" to make it clear to potential customers that yes, it is supposed to look like that. I'll also do a traditional TT wedding cake so that customers know that I can do one.

Now, I do think that if I have to explain a cake, it doesn't work. However, while I try to figure this one out, I'll see how it goes on the website.

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:47pm
post #8 of 24

Bonnie151: I'd just like to add (having some experience with photography) that it might be the fact that it is a 2D photo is making it hard to "read." The typical left-to-right TT is easier to photograph than yours.

There was a recent discussion about Jenna Bush's wedding cake which seemed to have just one TT layer and in fact, I think many CC members were debating if the top layer was TT or not. Several people mentioned it might have been the difficulty of the camera angle. If it helps, perhaps try another photo-- I do love your uncluttered background, but try some tall white candles in very simple holders, a stack of plates, or a cake knife or somthing. "Stage" it to look like a wedding cake table.

Perhaps introducing some context will help the viewer "interpret the image" without words. icon_smile.gif Just an idea...maybe have 2 images of it, one with candles (a larger background) and the close-up you have.

I agree the bows and all details are quite beautiful. I admire your talent!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:59pm
post #9 of 24

it's quite elegant for a TT. i like it.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:06pm
post #10 of 24

I like it........Beautiful work all around.........Makes you want to run and grab it...keep it from falling....great job.

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:10pm
post #11 of 24

I love the look of TT cakes, but I don't think that this particular cake "works" because it is so "beautiful" rather than "quirky". I think the expectation of an elegant, traditional type cake (such as yours) is that it will be straight, therefore this one looks like it is "poorly constructed"
(even though I, as a decorator, can see that it is not). Funky decor and tilt go together. Beauty and elegance and straight go together. JMO

coreenag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coreenag Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:11pm
post #12 of 24

quick question...what is OTT? I know about TT but not the other! I like unusual cakes and yours is done great! I just wonder if maybe you added an additional tier? Sometimes the 2 tier look a little squat (for lack of a better word). I think keep it up and you will have the orders from the brides who want something different. Good luck!
(I too understand the frustration of a DH that has too many opinions!)

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:20pm
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreenag

quick question...what is OTT? I know about TT but not the other! I like unusual cakes and yours is done great! I just wonder if maybe you added an additional tier? Sometimes the 2 tier look a little squat (for lack of a better word). I think keep it up and you will have the orders from the brides who want something different. Good luck!
(I too understand the frustration of a DH that has too many opinions!)

I was actually also wondering what OTT is. icon_confused.gif I agree about the other tier also.

Mommaskip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommaskip Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:41pm
post #14 of 24

i do like topsy turvy cakes but there are some i dont like and i just happen to not like this one. maybe if it had more layers and was taller to see the idea of topsy turvy. this kinda just looks like the top tier feel off the back of the cake.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:45pm
post #15 of 24

I like the cake, but that's just me.

And on the subject of husbands, this has been mentioned in another thread, but it seems like a lot of husbands aren't very supportive, or are just semi-supportive, until you start making money. They then suddenly become your biggest fans!

Stefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stefy Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:54pm
post #16 of 24

I agree with the general consensus. I think the technigues are beautiful - the fondant, the bows, etc. but to a non-cake person it could be constued as a poorly contructed cake.

I think TT cakes are fun and quirky and this cake is trying to be both and it just doesn't translate well at all. Sorry.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:57pm
post #17 of 24

I like it and think it would get lots of ooohs and aaahhhs at a wedding. Lot's of folk staring at it with heads leaned to one side wondering if it is falling and then realizing, NOPE, that's just how it's supposed to be!!! I LOVE THAT ELEMENT of suprise and amazement. Not the same-old-same old. Great job!! Don't get made at your hubby...his head is still very much INSIDE the box!! icon_smile.gif

crl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crl Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:57pm
post #18 of 24

I believe OTT means over the top.

Bonnie151 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:36pm
post #19 of 24

Sorry, yes- OTT means over the top.

I'd like to thank everyone for their comments and votes. It's far more constructive for me to hear, "I don't like it because..." than "why are you still working on that disaster?". I need to develop a thicker skin when it comes to my husband! I'm in the position where I'm nearly ready to be licensed - hopefully in a couple of weeks- am leaving my work with a big payoff in less than three weeks, and while everyone at work seems convinced I'm going to be successful, my husband, family and friends outside work all seem to be of the mind of "yes, yes, we'll humour her while she plays about with her hobby for 12 months or so, then realises she has to go back to 'real' work". I think the difference is that at work I'm seen as very focused and driven and it's assumed I would apply that to my own business whereas outside of work I'm just seen as a harassed mum. icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway, rant over. This is one of the reasons I love CC so much - impartial feedback.

Petit-Four, I take your point about the photo. I'll see what I can do. I've been collecting various "props" for the past few months to use in photos.

azureblu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azureblu Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:12am
post #20 of 24

I really do like your style and this cake is excellently done. That said, I do believe it needs a third layer (but you would need to bake smaller layers to keep to the feeding size) or a dummy wedge to make the crooked come back up. The wedges are what you can use in-between the layers and you just shave them to the shape you need. Covered with fondant or icing, no one can tell. This is what I would do.

I think you are going to do very well for yourself. I do not believe this kind of cake will take over the cake world, but what a fun way to make big exta bucks thumbs_up.gif

I will be making these cakes very small for the first time (servings for 2-4) next week, or should say 'try' to... icon_surprised.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:05am
post #21 of 24

I don't like this look either. Again, bows and technique are fabulous and I do think there is a big market for TT cakes. Have you seen the ones by Ron Ben Israel that look like the tiers are about to topple over? They are sharp and clean. Your top layer looks a little squishy (like it's not a determined shape, does that make sense?)

I hope you don't think I'm being harsh. It's just my opinion of what I like. I think you are crazy talented and can't wait to see more of your work!

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:19pm
post #22 of 24

I love TT wedding cakes. Especially if the bride and groom and fun and funky, it speaks to their personality. And isn't that what it's all about?

I think your cake looks gorgeous and elegant.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:31pm
post #23 of 24

I think you accomplished what you wanted. For an OTT (took me awhile icon_redface.gif ), the super-leaning cake is awesome! The top tier is not supposed to lean in the other direction, hence the OTT!

I believe most people will look at that cake and realize just how hard it is to accomplish a cake that looks like it's going to fall over but knowing it's to sturdy to ever fall over. Also, your angles are so extreme that people should know that this is intended. Even someone not knowing how to do a cake, could not accomplish a lean like that. icon_lol.gif

My only critique is: I personally think it would look better if the edges of the cakes were not quite so round. It might also look better if the individual tiers were a bit taller so the height and lean of the cakes are sharper and more pronounced.

Seriously, though, I'm still afraid of trying these cakes because mine would keep falling over! icon_lol.gif

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:32pm
post #24 of 24

I think it's a beautiful cake. I love TT cakes icon_lol.gif although I'm not a fan of making them myself.

I do agree with the others the top tier should have been angled in the other direction.

You did do a GREAT job keep up the good work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%