Rookie Fondant Questions

Decorating By tibadoe Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 12:39am by tibadoe

tibadoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tibadoe Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 6

Greetings, all! I am a rookie decorator (for family only at this point) and have learned SO MUCH from this website. The only question that I have found un-answered so far is this: After rolling fondant (I ususally use MMF) and placing it on the cake, what is the best way to get all the excess powdered sugar to go away?? If I make it the night ahead, most is usually absorbed, but not all....and what do I do for "day of" cakes? Also, any tricks to get MMF to harden in under a week? THANKS!!

5 replies
kayleighlovesjacob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayleighlovesjacob Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 6

I'm new too, I first tried using water with a brush b/c the p.s. dissolves but then it becomes sticky so I put on decorators gloves and rub on a tiny tiny bit of canola oil, the p.s. goes right away and it gives it a nice shiny finish... plus helps with any cracks... don't know if this is the best way or even a great way but it works for me...

p.s. if I shouldn't do this for any reason someone tell me please!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 6

I roll my MMF between 2 sheets of heavy duty vinyl (from Wal-Mart). I don't use any ps. You can use this method for other fondant too.

hwnhulahands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hwnhulahands Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 6

I used to use ps for rolling my fondant out and discovered the "residue" never disappeared and people told me to use cornstarch. I use it all the time now. It will show for alittle while but as you smooth your fondant out, the cornstarch goes away and you still have your "matte" look to your fondant and no powder residue. To make your fondant harden under a week.......add tryagacanth(don't know how to spell it) powder. It's a powder you use to make gumpaste. Just add alittle (amount depends on the amount of fondant). It'll harden.............trust me. I've done it. Or you can just use gumpaste. Good luck.

marie92001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marie92001 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 6

Hi!
I am new also but did my first cake today and had blue & red stars that had PS all over them so i grabbed my pastry brush and the ps came off really nice!
GL
Donna

tibadoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tibadoe Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:39am
post #6 of 6

Thanks to all for your words of wisdom! I'll try the corn starch trick for next weekend's birthday cakes, then the other tricks as needed...I so appreciate everyone taking time to reply -- and so quickly!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%