Heavy Topper Question?????

Decorating By jessi01 Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 1:48am by pinklesley1

jessi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessi01 Posted 31 May 2008 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 9

I have a wedding cake the end of this month and I just got an e-mail from the bride saying that she just got her topper and it seems really heavy.. ( the box says 1.1lb ) she was concerned with the weight. thats the first question... will it be ok?? should I put dowels in my top tier?
second question.... the caterer requested that I have the cake there at 10am... the reception isn't till 5pm... will it be ok to sit there all day and not be at risk of falling and/or sinking??

the bride asked if someone should place the topper on around 4pm but I'm not sure what to say... do I trust someone else with it?? icon_cry.gif

8 replies
pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 31 May 2008 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 9

i have the same problem.. i have a cake on july 13th. and not oly is the topper heavy but i have to move the cake once it is staked. i want someone who has expirienced this to help me and the OP out with this... HELP

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 31 May 2008 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 9

what I have done- is dowel it like for another layer and sometimes place a plate on top for support.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 31 May 2008 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 9

I used a ceramic piggy bank as a topper once. I just dowled it with 3 wooden dowels and used a trimmed cake board to sit it on. It was just as sturdy as the rest of the cake.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 9

I just put a SPS plate and legs in the top tier and it will hold pretty much anything.

jessi01 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:58pm
post #6 of 9

ok, I will add extra supports to the top tier, But will it be ok to have the cake sit out for 7+ hours before the reception??? I usually set up just an hour before and the cake sits there even longer after the reception starts icon_confused.gif

kakelady00009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakelady00009 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:24pm
post #7 of 9

I usually dowel the top tier, then place a mirror on top. You can find mirrors at Michaels, Walmart, etc. Just get one that is a little smaller than the top tier, put a little bit of icing on the topper (glue) and place on the mirror. Not only is it stable and sturdy, but it is also very pretty! Good Luck, and I think if you did this, it would be fine for many hours!!!!

jessi01 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:10pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks thats a great idea! I've never thought of using a mirror! thumbs_up.gif

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:48am
post #9 of 9

i love the mirror idea... cudos to you kakelady

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%