Cake Jacks

Decorating By cakecastle Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 3:26am by bethola

cakecastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecastle Posted 30 May 2008 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 17

I had tried the Wilton hidden pillars in January for my dd's 1st bday cake but didn't really like the amount of cake that got stuck in the pillars or the fact that I couldn't cut them exactly level, so I wanted to try something different for my 9 year old dd's upcoming birthday. I wanted to order the SPS from Oasis, but couldn't get it to give me a shipping amount without entering my credit card first and wasn't sure if it "took a big bite" out of the cake like the HP's. So, I ordered a couple sets of cake jacks from CK.

Are they as good as dowels? I've never used dowels since I've only done one stacked cake. Will I need a center dowel for a 2 tier that will not be traveling? Or are the cake jacks enough? Thanks for any advice you can offer! icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 17

I've never heard of cake jacks. I use dowels -- never had a problem! If you look in my pix, the Towering Inferno cake was 6 tiers and done with dowels. I'm interested to hear your experience with these cake jacks.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 17

I was looking at the cake jacks on two different websites and both said "for additional support use these cake jacks with plastic or wooden dowels" so it makes me wonder if they will be strong enough.

The last couple of cakes I've made, I used the Wilton hidden pillars and I was really pleased with them. I just stick one in the cake, mark the height and then pull it out and cut the others to that height with a steak knife. Before that, I used to use wooden dowels and cut them with pruning shears. The wooden dowels make smaller holes in the cake, but somehow the plastic ones look better to me, when the cake is unstacked to cut it.

cakecastle Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 17

The Towering Inferno cake is HUGE! and absolutely beautiful!

I came across the cake jacks looking through my Sweet Celebrations catalog. They are available in either 3 1/2" or 4" and come 6 in a pack. Here's their description:

Adjustable Dowel Rods

Never cut a dowel rod again! Cake-Jacks, the adjustable dowel rods, are clean, safe, fast, and easy to use. Just turn screw to adjust length of the 3 1/2" dowel from 3 1/2" to 4 3/4". The 4" jacks extend to 5". Cake-Jacks are sturdy, sanitary and dishwasher safe.

I didn't purchase from there because their website isn't complete yet and I couldn't get the item to come up. But I did find them at Country Kitchen. Now on the CK website it says use for additional support. So I'm a little confused. icon_confused.gif

cakecastle Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:17am
post #5 of 17

Here's a picture and description I found on the Cake Art Party Store website.

See why I'm confused? Looks like you could just use the cake jacks?

dakjack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dakjack Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:29am
post #6 of 17

If they work well in place of regular dowels I would love to give them a shot. I never seem to get the other dowels to be all the same length .

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:31am
post #7 of 17

I use cake jacks all the time and I LOVE them! You just screw them up to the exact height you need! PERFECT for those of us who are otherwise "challenged" when it comes to cutting dowels evenly. Heck, I can't even cut bubble straws evenly! LOL

I have used them for the last several tiered cakes I've done and never had a problem. HOWEVER, I set my cakes up at the site. I don't transport tiered cakes. I'm afraid I'd find ANOTHER area in which I'm CHALLENGED! LOL

Anyway, LOVE the cake jacks. Just make sure you use enough for support. There are directions on the package.
If you are going to transport ANY tiered cake, I'd say...dowel through the center. BUT, remember.....I don't transport!

GOOD LUCK and enjoy the cake jacks!

Beth in KY

cakecastle Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:48am
post #8 of 17

Thanks Beth. icon_smile.gif It's good to know they have worked well for you! I won't be transporting seeing that it will be my dd's birthday cake and we'll have the party here. So hopefully they will work alot better than if I was to try and cut dowels the same length, straight, etc. lol Me cutting those hidden pillars was not a pretty picture. icon_cry.gif

bethola Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:54am
post #9 of 17

Oh then you will love them! Believe me!

Keep on Cakin'!

Beth in KY

dakjack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dakjack Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 11:17pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethola

I use cake jacks all the time and I LOVE them! You just screw them up to the exact height you need! PERFECT for those of us who are otherwise "challenged" when it comes to cutting dowels evenly. Heck, I can't even cut bubble straws evenly! LOL

I have used them for the last several tiered cakes I've done and never had a problem. HOWEVER, I set my cakes up at the site. I don't transport tiered cakes. I'm afraid I'd find ANOTHER area in which I'm CHALLENGED! LOL

Anyway, LOVE the cake jacks. Just make sure you use enough for support. There are directions on the package.
If you are going to transport ANY tiered cake, I'd say...dowel through the center. BUT, remember.....I don't transport!

GOOD LUCK and enjoy the cake jacks!

Beth in KY

Do you mean only tiered cakes (that you dont transport) or stacked too. Would it be ok to use the cake jacks on a small stacked cake that would be transported?

bethola Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:31am
post #11 of 17

I just "freak" thinking about transporting cakes! SURE! You can use the cake jacks on small stacked cakes. No problem.

I DID transport a stacked cake yesterday and it was soooo humid that it shifted a little and I had to "shim it up" (as Duff would say) after I got there. Luckily, it was my cousin's cake, so no real problem. I still think you would probably want to dowel through the center for a more secure transport. Just my opinion.

Beth

cakecastle Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:25pm
post #12 of 17

Beth, I have one more question for you, if you don't mind. Do I need to use cake plates between the tiers or covered cake circles or does it not matter? I know if I was center doweling I would have to use cake circles, but since I'm not transporting can cake plates be used with the jacks? Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:13pm
post #13 of 17

Treat yourself to cake jacks and never cut a dowel again!!! I love them... I use them with or with out plates and w/ cardboard, I put long dowel through the tiers I am transporting usually no more than two and them stack the rest on site. I still want to try the SPS system, but cake jacks really have saved my life. I could never get a cake straight with just dowels and the nightmare of pulling them and adjusting them to get them all level. I do use the bubble straws for smaller projects, or shorter layers. I give them a 10!!!

cakecastle Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:24pm
post #14 of 17

jlsheik-Thanks for the reply!

My order will be here tomorrow and I can't wait to try them out.....I need excuse to make enough cake to test them out before my dd's bday in 3 weeks. icon_wink.gif

bethola Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 9:38pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecastle

Beth, I have one more question for you, if you don't mind. Do I need to use cake plates between the tiers or covered cake circles or does it not matter? I know if I was center doweling I would have to use cake circles, but since I'm not transporting can cake plates be used with the jacks? Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh absolutely use them with either! I do!

Beth

cakecastle Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 11:00pm
post #16 of 17

Thanks Beth! You have been so helpful! icon_biggrin.gif

bethola Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:26am
post #17 of 17

Happy to be of service !

Beth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%