Houston Cake Decorators: Where Do You

Decorating By MessiET Updated 30 May 2008 , 10:02pm by CakeMommyTX

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 6

buy your cake supplies besides going for basic supplies at Michaels or Hobby Lobby?

The stores I found are:
Cake Craft Shoppe in Sugar Land
Amazing Cake Supplies on Bissonet
Make a Cake on Evergreen

I live in Katy so I don't really have any cake supplies stores close by. I don't like to order online too much since I don't have a business, just make cakes for family as a hobby.

Also, have any of you been able to find the SPS plates/columns locally?

5 replies
herdream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
herdream Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 6

I have been to Cake Craft Shoppe and Make -a- Cake. I like Make -a- Cake better because the staff is EXTREMELY helpful with any questions I had. I am in the market to purchase an airbrush machine, and they explained the differences and even showed how to use them, etc. I also had some other miscellaneous questions, and they were helpful with those as well.
Cake Craft Shoppe is a very nice store...... they have a great inventory and selection, but the staff was really standoffish. No one asked me if I needed any help, and I stood there for a while at the counter before anyone asked me if I needed assistance. Plus.... I overheard 2 employees talking about how some lady was in the store for some odd minutes and did not purchase anything. For a minute I thought they were referring to me, but I realized that this particular lady had already left the store (I had been browsing in there for a while myself).
Anyways..... I am not trying to bash anyone's business, I am just sharing my experiences. I am pretty big on customer service....especially when I am spending MY money. Make-a-Cake is excellent for that IMO.
I have yet to check out Amazing Cake Supplies since it is pretty close to Make-a- Cake.
I am not sure what SPS plates are, so I cant really tell you who has them in stock. Hope this helps! icon_biggrin.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 6

Here are two more, I have'nt been to Roses but I go to K & J when I'm on that side of town.
I'm also in Katy, its such a small world!

Roses Cake Depot
713) 466-8014
7302 Senate Ave, Houston, TX

Ok I searched but I can't find the address of the other one, its on 1960 and Stuebner by the Kinkos,don't know if you know where that is . They do have really cheap boxes, I make the drive over there to get them.
I'll keep looking for the address, I'm not even really sure if its called K&J now, since I can't find it ?

MessiET Posted 30 May 2008 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 6

herdream, I like Make-a-cake. You are right, they do have wonderful customer service there. Amazing Cake supplies is a much smaller shop. Cake Craft Shoppe seems to always have different employees everytime I have gone there.

SPS is a cake support system by Bakery Crafts for stacked cakes where you don't have to use dowels. It also has a nub on the center of the plate so your can center your cakes easily. I have ordered some online and will be trying them out soon. Just wanted to save on the shipping charges.

yourstrulytx, I tried to search for K&J on the internet but did not find any info. If you do come across their address, please let me know. I will have to check out Roses soon.

MessiET Posted 30 May 2008 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 6

OK, I did find info on the web about the shop on Stuebner. It is:
S & J Cake & Candy Supplies
4620 FM 1960 Rd W
Houston, TX 77069-4604
Phone: (281) 586-0902

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 30 May 2008 , 10:02pm
post #6 of 6

Yep I was just about to post that address, I had the name wrong. I went there today and got some more boxes. Their selection is small but its still a good place for foil wrap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%