Combination Birthday & Graduation Cake?

Decorating By mommy2owen Updated 29 May 2008 , 7:55pm by awolf24

mommy2owen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2owen Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone!

I'm in desperate need of some creative input! I have an order for a two layer 12 X 18 sheet cake. The customer wants one half to be a birthday for all three of his kids...two girls ages 11 and 8 and a 5 year old boy and the other side a 7th grade graduation for the oldest girl. I can't seem to come up with any ideas. I don't want it to look too busy, and he really didn't give me anything to go on except that the school colors are dark blue and yellow and to make the birthday side festive, fun, birthday-ish, whatever I want to do with it.

It's due in the morning. Any ideas??? icon_confused.gif

5 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 6

Could you actually cut the cake in half and decorate it two different ways to accommodate the different celebrations? It is a little extra decorating for you but I think it might be easier and look better, and that way they are not getting any more cake than they ordered. They can display them side by side.

I think that you are right that it might look a little busy trying to fit both in on the same cake.

mommy2owen Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 6

I'm not sure if he'll go for that or not. When he initially said he wanted the two layer sheet cake, half birthday, half graduation, I suggested two cakes, but he insisted one one. I'm thinking that he may have wanted one because he thought one cake would be cheaper than two, but it's not. If I can't come up with something, I may have to call him back and ask him about doing two. Thanks for the suggestion!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 29 May 2008 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 6

In know this isn't just a divided sheet cake, but I still like this idea for sharing a cake. Each would get their own square.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1221875

Good luck!

mommy2owen Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 6

Cupcakemkr, that is such a neat cake idea. I really like it. Anyway, I talked to my customer and explained that I thought two sheet cakes would just look better. He agreed. icon_biggrin.gif For the graduation cake, I think I'm going to do a sheet cake in the school colors with paw prints on it (school mascot is the grizzly). Any one have an idea for a birthday sheet cake that would be appropriate for a 5 yr old boy, 8 yr old girl and 11 yr old girl? icon_confused.gif

Thanks!

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 6

Yea on the 2 separate cakes! That does make everything easier.

Seems like he didn't give many details about the birthdays, like party decoration theme or anything... I would suggest maybe you just go with bright primary colors for the birthday cake. That usually works well for both male/female for any age.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%