Spraying Cakes With Vodka?

Decorating By summernoelle Updated 29 May 2008 , 1:58am by plbennett_8

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 28 May 2008 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 6

When I took a class with Bronwen last week, people kept talking about spraying the cake with vodka when they were done. Why would they do that?

5 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 May 2008 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 6

I've seen that recommended to get rid of PS residue and heard that it also leaves a short-term shine on the fondant. Not an issue for me--I roll on vinyl with a swipe of Crisco (no residue, plenty of shine).

Rae

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 28 May 2008 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 6

I ALWAYS have PS residue all over my cakes...I might try that then. That was my guess icon_wink.gif

andromedaslove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andromedaslove Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:39am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

When I took a class with Bronwen last week, people kept talking about spraying the cake with vodka when they were done. Why would they do that?

Brownwen, as in Brownwen in TX, that was just on WE with a show about wedding cakes? How cool is that?! icon_surprised.gif

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:52am
post #5 of 6

Some people mix Luster Dusts or Pearl Dust with Vodka and spray it on their cakes. I think it works better with an air gun... To get powdered sugar off of fondant just rub with a little shortening, it will be absorbed, and the shine will go away in a few hours...

HTH,
Pat

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:58am
post #6 of 6

Wow...that is so weird... icon_confused.gif It cut off half of what I wrote... I was also saying that I think it works better with an air gun... And that you can get rid of powdered sugar on fondant by just rubbing it gently with a small amount of shortening... It will absorb into the cake and the "shiny" will go away within a few hours...

Hope this one makes it...lol icon_rolleyes.gif
Pat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%