Ordered My First White Satin Ice. Coloring ???

Decorating By cocobean Updated 29 May 2008 , 9:29am by pjaycakes

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 28 May 2008 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 6

Just ordered my first Satin Ice! Can anyone tell me how it does when adding a lot of gel color for dark colors??? I'm hoping it doesn't get too soft. I didn't want to order lots of colors. Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 28 May 2008 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 6

Nicholas lodge said to take a small amount of fondant and add your color to it. Mix it really well and blended, then keep adding fondant to it and kneading it in. Start with a much darker shade than you want to end up with.
Keep adding till you get the whole amount you need the color you need.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:20am
post #3 of 6

My only advice, if you make black... start with chocolate fondant!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:27am
post #4 of 6

I did a tiffany blue cake last weekend and I had no trouble with the consistancy of the fondant after adding the gel color. Satin Ice is really great for taking color and not changing.
Now homemade fondant, I find that it does change, quite a bit really, and if I know I have to have a dark color I will buy Satin Ice just for that purpose.

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:46am
post #5 of 6

I add color to the Satin Ice colors all the time and everytime it's come out perfect.

good luck!

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 29 May 2008 , 9:29am
post #6 of 6

The only time I find the Satin Ice to get a little sticky is if I'm trying to make really dark colors. If you keep a cornstarch puff nearby and as your needing in the color if it starts to stick to your hands just dust the outside of the fondant with the cornstarch and it takes care of it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%