How Soon To Fill?

Decorating By Stephianme Updated 28 May 2008 , 8:45pm by Homemade-Goodies

Stephianme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephianme Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 7

Hi how soon can I put filling between the layers? I have 3 cakes for this weekend. 1 on Sat (the one with the filling) and 2 for Sunday. I would like to have the Sat one done for Thurs but is that too long for a filling to sit inside the cake? 2 days too long? I am afraid it will get soggy. How about keeping it refrigerated will that help? The other 2 are really big so I need Friday and Sat to work on them.
Thanks for any advice
Kathy

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:57pm
post #2 of 7

For a Saturday delivery, I prep on thursday (take out of freezer, fill and wrap and let sit to settle) and frost and decorate on Friday.

And by filling I'm assuming you're talking about some sort of shelf-stable fruit filling?

Stephianme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephianme Posted 28 May 2008 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 7

yes my filling can stay out. Wrap? After filling you wrap again? Can I do a crumb coat that day too? And the filling will not make the layers soggy?
thanks
Kathy

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 May 2008 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 7

Yes, I wrap it in plastic wrap so the edges will not dry out as it's sitting on my counter. I always mix the sleeved fillings 1:3 with frosting to make filling. I can't vouch for letting just the fruit stuff sit on the cake as I don't use it that way.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 28 May 2008 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 7

Hi Leah, sorry, what does 'sleeved filling' mean?

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 28 May 2008 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 7

I do similiar to Leah for Saturday weddings.

I fill and crumb coat on Thursday, frost and decorate on Friday. I use a crusting buttercream so my crumb coat will actually harden up some to protect the cake, so I don't wrap.

Sleeved fillings are the 2lb pastry fillings you can find at specialty cake decorating stores or online, comes in tons of flavors. They do not require the cake to be refrigerated and do not seep into the cake making it soggy.

Jams, jellies, preserves, and puddings are not safe to leave out a room temp and they all will seep into the cake, making it soggy and causing it to break down, especially after 2 days.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 28 May 2008 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 7

Wow, ok, thanks for the explanation. I wouldn't know what they call it in Dutch to try and find it here...maybe I'll hunt some down next trip home. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%