Need Some Ideas/pics For A Luau Fondant Tiered Cake

Decorating By aprilcake Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 7:14pm by lillimra

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 27 May 2008 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 30

hi! customer wants a sweet 16 birthday cake for her daughter. SHe said her daughter wants it to look like the fondant tiered cakes on food network. Its a luau theme...anyone have any great pics of fondant tiered luau/beach/hawaiian cakes?

Thanks,
April :0)

29 replies
KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 27 May 2008 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 30

Hi aprilcake! Go and do a search for "luau" cakes, you will find tons! Our theme at VBS this year is Outrigger Island, so I have been looking too! hehe

aprilcake Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 30

thank you kascarlett...i have been looking in the search section for luau/hawaiian cakes...but I am not finding any tiered fondant ones really...any help anyone?

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 30

Cakelava.com
Great cakesicon_wink.gif

T-Bird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
T-Bird Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 30

I would maybe suggest using frangipani and/or hibiscus flowers... maybe ask to see some of the decorations or invitations that they are using to get color ideas and maybe some inspiration. Also a lot of great hawaiian print fabrics at stores right now.
I don't know quite what they really mean by "cakes on food network" but I'm planning one for my hubby's grandparents anniversary later this year using bright pink, bright blue, orange, yellow and lime green for the colors. Going to keep it simple by making square cakes (stacked) covered in white or off white fondant or just buttercream with a bright blue (aqua ?) ribbon around the base of each then having frangipani with different colored petals and centers cascading down. Hope to find a topper of two lovebirds but maybe some sort of exotic bird.

aprilcake Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 30

thank you T-bird...that sounds beautiful! I would love to do a sunset background but need to get an airbrush to do that!

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:40pm
post #7 of 30

here is a 6inch one I did for my sisters hawaiian wedding hth

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=45208

T-Bird Posted 28 May 2008 , 10:23pm
post #8 of 30

Here is another posibility that came to mind while making tons of blossoms... string small brightly colored (or maybe large) blossoms together to make leis (sp?) and then use them as borders/edging or like garlands.

Hope you have had inspiration, or will soon! icon_smile.gif

aprilcake Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:05am
post #9 of 30

thank you T-bird...that actually sounds really cute!

Lacicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lacicakes Posted 29 May 2008 , 4:16am
post #10 of 30

How about a pair of flip flops with hibiscus flowers on them. or make a rectangle cake that looks like it's covered with a hibiscus print beach towel and the flip flops sitting on top of it with other luau accesories made out of fondant.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 29 May 2008 , 4:51am
post #12 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendoger

Cakelava.com
Great cakesicon_wink.gif

OMG! Cakelava is out of this world! Thanks for posting the link!

My first thought was the Throwdown cake, but BrandisBaked already posted it... The closest I've gone to Hawaiian is completely covering a round cake in 50/50 fondant/gumpaste plumeria blossoms (in my pics), which unfortunately ended up too bright to count as such.

Good luck with your cake!

T-Bird Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:18pm
post #13 of 30

icon_smile.gif glad you like it! Just can't wait to see what you come up with icon_smile.gif

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:29pm
post #14 of 30

oh you should check out the beach theme gallery-there's some great luau themed cakes-lots that aren't just beachy either if she wants a more girlie flower type cake-oh the ideas!! can't wait to see what you come up with

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:27pm
post #15 of 30
Quote:

Cakelava.com
Great cakesicon_wink.gif

WOW! They sure do have some awesome cakes! Thanks for posting!

my2rys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my2rys Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:51am
post #16 of 30

i found a beautiful tiered luau cake at www.freedsbakery.com - any suggestions on how to make the blue shine, i am planning on using it for my daughters cake - any suggestions for grass? thanks

justgale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justgale Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 7:15pm
post #17 of 30

The first thing I thought of when we visited Hawaii was the cliff divers over the waterfall. I can't remember the name of the park we were at but they also had lots of tropical flowers, huts, and hula dancers. I like the idea of a lei wraped around part of the cake. Here are some ideas I found on google. Personaly I love the waterfall ones. hth let us see pictures of what you decide to do.
Sherri
LL
LL
LL
LL

justgale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justgale Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 8:23pm
post #18 of 30
marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 8:33pm
post #19 of 30

For shine---Piping gel on top of the blue or confectioner's glaze............

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 8:36pm
post #20 of 30

Here is one I did. I used a whipped buttercream with fondant accents but it would look better in all fondant. Check it out and if you like it and want any tips just pm me.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=627973

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 8:37pm
post #21 of 30

Or, my fondant shines when I paint plain clear vanilla over it.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 8:38pm
post #22 of 30

Oh yeah that is true.... the extract does shine when you let it dry on fondant! icon_lol.gif You can look at my brown cake and see shiny spots on it! icon_redface.gif Lesson learned

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 8:49pm
post #23 of 30
Quote:

Cakelava.com
Great cakesicon_wink.gif

Holy Cow, I'm speechless. He is awesome!

my2rys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my2rys Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:12am
post #24 of 30

The luau cake I did for my daughter's birthday was a big success. Thanks for you suggestions. Here is the cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1240983.html

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 9:44pm
post #25 of 30

Okay, might be too late for this but...

I don't often save pics but this one I loved so much I had to. Found it on the Wilton forums a while back, don't remember who it's by but like I said, I loved it so much, I had to save it!

Instead of turning a 2-3 tiered into a small Hawaiian island, I love this idea for a tropical themed tiered cake.

Again, not by me but a fellow caker who posted this on the Wilton forums not too long ago!
LL

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 9:58pm
post #26 of 30

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=894593

Ignore the hideous treasure chest. I don't know what I was thinking. icon_twisted.gif

born2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 10:09pm
post #27 of 30

Did you see the cake that was uploaded today?

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1248679.html

Maybe this cake decorator can give you some tips.

B2B

EmmyD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmmyD Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 10:22pm
post #28 of 30

There is a how to in ACD this month that Susan Carberry did to make staked 3 tiered "tossed tiki" it is on page 18. that would be really awesome for a luau party. hope this helps.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 10:43pm
post #29 of 30

I had a request for a luau cake just this week. Had to turn it down though because of scheduling. I'm glad this came up for future reference though! icon_biggrin.gif

lillimra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillimra Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 7:14pm
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilcake

hi! customer wants a sweet 16 birthday cake for her daughter. SHe said her daughter wants it to look like the fondant tiered cakes on food network. Its a luau theme...anyone have any great pics of fondant tiered luau/beach/hawaiian cakes?

Thanks,
April :0)

I just did a luau cake for my nieces sweet sixteen, nothing like a food network cake but I did find this online and used bits and pieces for her cake. I don't believe it is fondant but I think you could easily use it to make this cake or something like it. Hope it inspires

Lil

http://www.freedsbakery.com/cakes/las-vegas-cakes/childrens-birthday-cakes/shayleys-hawaiian-luau

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%