How To Make Driftwood? Any Ideas?

Decorating By BCo Updated 28 May 2008 , 12:33pm by BCo

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 6

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how I might go about making something to look like driftwood to put on a cake. They don't have to be huge pieces - just a couple of inches or so - it's going on a beachy themed tiered cake. The people are really into driftwood!! lol I guess I could just make it out of fondant but I'm thinking maybe there may be an even more creative way!

thanks
Brandie

5 replies
abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 6

I have several different ideas. You could use tootsie rolls, since they only need to be a few inches long. Or you might try using pirouette cookies, darkened with food coloring. Good luck! (totally envious of your pic with Duff, by the way!)

BCo Posted 27 May 2008 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 6

it's funny you mentioned those two items b/c I had those in mind too - I just didn't want it as dark as the tootsie roll but the cookies might be a good option!

Thanks

PS - just love me some Duff!! too cute!

shivs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shivs Posted 28 May 2008 , 1:45am
post #4 of 6

you could make driftwood ftom marbeling your fondant with 2 or 3 wood looking colors. Just play with the shape a little to make your pieces. I have a picture of wooden fence posts in my pictures and i loved how the "wood" turned out & it was very easy. Hope that helps some.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 28 May 2008 , 4:41am
post #5 of 6

Pastillage makes fantastic drift wood! It's just 2 cups powdered sugar, 1 Tbsp. tylose, and just enough water to make a dough. It can be used immediately. Keep any that you are not using completely covered. A damp towel over the plastic will help prevent drying.

It dries VERY quickly, so you have to work quickly. It can be textured and colored. My favorite way to color the wood is to mix powdered color with Everclear (grain alcohol). A light gray painted across the wood will give it a weathered look.

By the way, you can freeze any left over pastillage. Rub shortening over the pastillage, wrap it at least 3 times with plastic wrap, then place in a zipper bag, remove any air, and then freeze. When you need it again, let it come to room temperature on its own (don't nuke it).

HTH

Michele

p.s. If you look in my gallery there are several pictures with trees and logs. These are all made with pastillage.

BCo Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:33pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks guys - and thank you for the recipe - I will try it out and see how it goes - both of your wood pictures are fantastic! Just what I need!

thanks again
brandie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%